Physics and Astronomy
Physical principles are the driving force behind many discoveries that have made our lives more comfortable and efficient.
The development of medical instrumentation and imaging, radiotherapy in the treatment of cancers, new materials that conduct and store energy efficiently, quantum computing and analysing big data – all of these developments stem from explorations and discoveries in physics and astrophysics.
The School of Physics and Astronomy has access to world-class facilities, including the New Horizons Research Centre, the Monash Centre for Electron Microscopy, and the Australian Synchrotron.
It is aligned with top research centres including the Monash Centre for Atomically Thin Materials, ARC Centres of Excellence in Particle Physics, and Gravitational Wave Astrophysics. This means that you will gain invaluable experience and opportunities to work alongside researchers both at Monash, and globally. Our researchers are pushing the boundaries of science to impact the world for future generations.
- Astronomical Society of Australia (ASA)
- Australian Academy of Science
- Australian Academy of Technological Sciences & Engineering
- Australian Institute of Medical Scientists
- Australian Institute of Physics
- Australian Optical Society
- Australian Science Teachers Association
- Australasian Society for General Relativity and Gravitation
- The Minerals Institute