Business School Industry and Alumni Mentoring
Navigating through university and into the working world can be a challenge at times. With guidance from someone who’s walked a similar path, student mentees will feel better equipped to make their next move.
Mentoring is a collaborative learning relationship where both parties share mutual responsibility and accountability. The goal is to help the mentee work towards the fulfilment of clear and agreed goals. This happens through a series of time-limited, confidential, one-on-one conversations and other learning activities with a mentor.
The Monash Business School mentors come from a variety of private, public sector and not-for-profit organisations, and many have management and leadership experience. All are dedicated industry professionals who have volunteered to support future entrants into the working world.
Mentees are final-year Monash Business School students, who will be individually matched with a mentor relevant to their professional goals and academic pursuits. Over the course of 12 weeks, mentors and mentees meet frequently providing the opportunity for mentees to learn how to best set themselves up for success in a supportive environment.
Are you a business or alumni professional interested in helping shape the future of our students? Send us your expression of interest to participate as a mentor in this program.
Please note current Monash staff and students (including PhD) are not eligible to be mentors in this program.
- Create a professional and career focussed program that focuses on employability skill development;
- Assist our student mentees gain insight into specific industry sectors and assist them to gain career clarity;
- Establish and grow a professional network;
- Assist our student mentees gain confidence in a professional setting; and
- Assist our student mentees in their transition from university to work
- Contribute to the career and leadership development of a Monash student;
- Help shape a student’s future; and
- Learn from the next generation of leaders in their profession
Key dates and activities:
- Duration of the program is 12 weeks and runs in both university semesters
- At the start of the program you'll be invited to attend a mentor induction session, followed by the program launch event
- Mid way through the program, you will be invited to attend a networking event where you'll have the opportunity to meet and network with other program participants, and help mentees build on their networking skills in a comfortable environment
- The program concludes with a thank you function where you'll have the opportunity to network with other mentees and mentors, and hear how their mentoring relationships developed throughout the program
- Create a professional and career-focussed outlook that develops your employability skills;
- Gain career clarity and expand your knowledge of career paths available to you;
- Develop insight into key employability skills and capabilities sought by and valued by employers;
- Gain insights into employment in specific industry sectors;
- Learn insights on how to effectively make the transition from university to work;
- Establish and grow your professional network;
- Grow your confidence in a professional setting; and
- Develop insight from your mentor’s professional and personal experience and knowledge
Key dates and activities:
- Duration of the program is 12 weeks and runs in both semesters
- Eligible final year students will receive an invitation to apply to be a mentee
- At the start of the program you'll undertake a compulsory mentee training session, followed by the program launch event
- Mid way through the program, you will be invited to attend a networking event where you'll have the opportunity to meet and network with other program participants, and build on your networking skills in a comfortable environment
- The program concludes with a thank you function where you can thank your mentor formally, network with other mentees and their mentors, and hear how their mentoring relationships developed within the program
Applications for this program are competitive. You must be available for a telephone interview between 13 - 21 February 2020 to proceed in the application process. If you are overseas, please let us know, and we can make arrangements to contact you at no cost.
Once accepted into the program, it is a compulsory requirement for all mentees to complete the Successful Mentoring Leap into Leadership Online (LiLO) module by 1 March in order to be matched with a mentor and commence the program.
"Having been part of this mentoring program for the last three semesters, I've had the opportunity to help graduating students transition from their university studies into the workforce. This program has also given me the opportunity to connect with other like-minded working professionals from different disciplines with a common interest in sharing and empowering the next generation of leaders in Australia and beyond.
I was able to work with my mentees on three goals through mock interviews, resume workshops, setting goals and workplace visits. What impressed me most were my mentees' tenacious attitudes and persistence towards developing a growth mindset and also their desire to continually learn and improve beyond the classroom.
I can't recommend this program enough to any working professionals who seek to better themselves by investing time and experience in our future leaders!"
- Elvin, Systems and Security Auditor
"This program has been such a rewarding experience and I have really enjoyed getting to know my mentee. The Chronus mentoring platform was a great resource and helped create a seamless experience for us. I hope to stay involved in future!"
- Yoni, Lawyer
"Joining this program might be one of the best decisions I've made during university life. I learnt so much from my mentor and experienced change and growth during these weeks. I wouldn't have been able to step out of my comfort zone to express myself or be more confident without the encouragement from my mentor.
I also met other mentees and made friends! Highly recommend other students join this program. You'll definitely get more than what you expect."
- Winifred, Master of Business
"I learnt a lot and built a great relationship with my mentor. Being an international student, I had limited understanding about the work culture and career opportunities in Australia. I've been able to explore the various career opportunities and growth prospects in my field. My mentor also helped me develop confidence, teamwork, communication, and interpersonal skills, which will help immensely in my career."
- Kimberly, Master of Banking and Finance
"I'm so grateful for this mentoring opportunity. It has prepared me for progressing into my future graduate roles."
- Rachel, Bachelor of International Business
|Mentor applications open||Monday 15 June|
|Mentor applications close||Wednesday 15 July|
|Mentee applications open||Monday 15 June|
|Mentee applications close||Wednesday 15 July|
|Program commences||Monday 3 August|
Monash Business School