Monash soars nine spots to 75th globally in THE World University Rankings
- Monash University has soared nine places to rank equal 75th globally in the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings released overnight.
- Monash’s rise in global standing among the 1396 institutions considered across 92 countries further confirms its reputation as a leading international university.
- The latest results follow Monash’s excellent performance in the Academic Rankings of World Universities (ARWU), where it leapt 18 spots to 73, and the QS World University Rankings, in which Monash is ranked 58 globally.
Monash continues to advance its reputation as an international powerhouse, high-calibre research and educational institution, climbing nine places to rank equal 75th globally in the THE World University Rankings 2020 released overnight.
The University achieved improved results in the THE World University Rankings 2020 key indicators that capture performance, placing it above the top 75 per cent of the 1396 institutions considered globally.
President and Vice-Chancellor Professor Margaret Gardner AO said the results were recognition of Monash as an emerging international powerhouse in higher education.
“Monash is highly regarded for its solution-focused research into major global issues, such as the provision of clean water, long-term planetary health, and the eradication of mosquito-borne diseases.
“We strive for excellence by fostering a truly diverse, innovative and sustainable research and teaching environment that supports our goals to be excellent, international, enterprising and inclusive – rising to 75 is a true reflection of our ambition and commitment measured by the highest international standards.”
This latest rise sees Monash jump in all three of the leading university ranking measurements. This includes:
- The Academic Rankings of World Universities – Monash leapt 18 spots to 73, up from 91 in 2018
- QS World University Rankings – ranked 58 globally (up one spot)
Monash’s research performance also ranked above international standard in the 2018 round of the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) rankings, by the Australian Research Council (ARC).
THE World University Rankings’ methodology uses 13 carefully calibrated performance indicators to provide the most comprehensive and balanced comparisons, trusted by students, academics, university leaders, industry and governments.
Grouped into five areas, the performance indicators include: teaching (the learning environment); research (volume, income and reputation); citations (research influence); international outlook (staff, students and research); and industry income (knowledge transfer).
The latest THE World University Rankings follow the THE World Reputation Rankings released earlier this year, in which Monash rose 17 places to rank in the 91-100 band, reinforcing its position in the top 100 universities in the world.
For more information about the THE rankings, please visit https://www.timeshighereducation.com/