Information on problem behaviour for staff
Here at Monash, we expect our staff to conduct themselves with honesty, respect and fairness. We have high professional standards, and unacceptable behaviour in the workplace is not tolerated.
For more information about expected behaviour, ethical conduct and child safe standards, see our website on integrity and respect.
Managing students’ problem behaviour
It can often be challenging to manage students who are behaving inappropriately. But as a staff member, it’s essential you intervene early to ensure other students and staff are protected.
What to do
If you see, experience or hear about any unacceptable behaviour, make a report online to the Safer Community Unit – they’ll be able to give you advice and strategies to help.
If you think someone is in danger of being hurt, call:
- Monash Security on 03 9905 3333 (for immediate help on campus)
- 000 (for immediate help on or off campus).
You can contact the Safer Community Unit to arrange a customised training session on managing students’ problem behaviour.
If you’re a member of our academic staff, you can also recommend (or require) a student to complete the Acceptable Online Conduct module – it outlines behavioural requirements when learning online or using social media.
More help and advice
- Managing problem behaviour online (pdf, 0.13 mb): Read about what constitutes problem behaviour online, how you can respond to the behaviour and where you can go for advice.
- Student support information sheet (pdf, 0.12 mb): Download a list of the support services available at Monash.
- Referring an issue to the Safer Community Unit (pdf, 0.15 mb): Find out more about responding to different types of problem behaviour and how the Safer Community Unit can help.