But with so many Monash students, staff and visitors, finding a space can be difficult at some campuses without a permit, and they can be hard to get if you don't get in early, especially at Caulfield.
To ease the pressure on limited spaces, consider your other options before applying for a permit, such as the Rideshare carpooling program, public transport, cycling or walking – you could save time and money, and help the environment.
Changes to parking at Clayton
Major construction works at Clayton campus have seen a number of changes to parking at the campus.
Getting your permit
You can buy or apply for a permit from our purchase parking permits page, which outlines your choices and explains where you can park, based on your permit colour.
Your choices are:
- Blue – for students and staff (not available at Parkville, which is well served by public transport)
- Cross campus – for students studying on more than one campus. You buy a blue permit first and exchange it for a cross-campus permit at Monash Connect
- Red – for staff only
- Yellow – for departmental use (paid from faculty or department budgets)
- Green – for senior staff only
- VIP Blue – for honorary and adjunct staff
- Orange – for contractors and tenants, working or operating a business on campus
Update your existing details
If you already have a blue, red or green permit, make sure you update your vehicle details if they change.
You don't need a permit, but must park in the spaces reserved for motorcyclists.
All our campuses have convenient parking spaces for people with a disability. You can apply for a disability permit through your local council and can use it across Victoria. VicRoads has more information.
Staff can reduce the cost of a permit by paying for it through salary packaging.
Our maps page shows how to get to any Monash campus in the Melbourne area. You can also download campus maps, showing all parking areas.
Remember to read the signs, and park in the right spot to avoid a fine.
Security and traffic offices
Security and traffic offices don't handle applications for blue, cross-campus, red or green parking permits – you can buy them online from the purchase parking permits page.
Security and traffic offices only handle:
- VIP Blue and orange permit applications – download the appropriate form from the purchase parking permits and take it to your campus security and traffic office
- Yellow permits – bought online for staff from faculty / department budgets, picked up at security and traffic office
- Permit pouches – clear-plastic covers to protect your permit if you switch it between cars
- Security or other parking issues – reports of theft, damage or personal security concerns
In an emergency, dial 333 from any Monash phone or 9905 3333 from any campus. If you have a general security concern, dial 53059 from a Monash phone or 9905 3059 from other phones. You can call these numbers anytime.
Otherwise, contact your campus security and traffic office directly.
READ THE SIGN – AVOID THE FINE
All our campuses are subject to Victorian traffic laws (Road Safety Act and Victorian Road Rules), so please obey the road rules and signs. To avoid a parking fine:
- obey the signs where you park
- check the time limits on metered spaces
- display your parking ticket or permit clearly
- only park in a permit zone that matches your permit type
- only park motorcycles in motorcycle zones
- don't park in spaces for the disabled without a disability permit
- don't copy, modify or falsify a parking ticket or permit
- don’t park in loading zones unless you are entitled to do so, and then only for the prescribed period of time
- if you drive to campus in different vehicles, put your permit in a clear plastic cover for switching between vehicles – you can get permit pouches from your campus parking office.
If you get a fine, you can't pay it on campus – read the back of your notice for payment options.