Monash Warwick alliance
The Monash Warwick Alliance offers a new model for research-led institutions to meet the global challenges of the 21st century. By accelerating the exchange of people, ideas and information and exploiting the opportunities offered by the geography of the two institutions in Europe, Asia-Pacific and Africa, we intend to create a new approach to global higher education.
A key aim of the Alliance is to help meet the increasing student, industry and government demand for universities to produce graduates with a global education, and to undertake research that addresses world-relevant and strategically important problems.
In time, as our vision for globally connected universities is refined and developed, new models of delivery of education and educational services will emerge, challenging traditional concepts of what it means to be a university and enabling new members to become part of the Alliance.
The Monash Warwick Alliance was approved by both University Councils in December 2011, when a Heads of Agreement setting out the strategic objectives for the Alliance was signed by both Vice-Chancellors. The University of Warwick and Monash University have been working closely together since 2009 and over this period a number of joint seminars, research symposia and funding applications have resulted from the development of academic networks. A joint £1,000,000/AUD$ 1,560,000 strategic fund has been established to enable and develop collaborative ideas.
Since the establishment of the new Alliance, key initiatives include:
- £500,000 has been awarded by the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) under its 'Building Global Engagements' programme to build connections in the physical sciences in the year to end-March 2013.
- $100,000 has been received from the Australian Government to support student mobility.
- Two Australian Research Council grants in Engineering and nanoparticle sensing.
- Green Steps, Monash University's award-winning sustainability education programme has run its first international course for students at Warwick in July with a larger programme planned for 2013.
- Monash University The University of Warwick have launched the first ever issue of their joint academic journal, Reinvention, showcasing the best undergraduate research from around the world today.
- Joint PhD agreement – joint course applications and regulations are being finalised to enable recruitment from February 2013.