Diversity and Inclusion Committee
The Diversity and Inclusion Committeeis an advisory committee reporting to the Vice-Chancellor’s Executive Committee. The committee is charged with setting the University’s diversity and inclusion agenda encompassing, but not limited to:
- Gender equity
- Indigenous staff and students
- Staff and students who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex or queer (LGBTIQ)
- Staff and students with disability
- Staff and students from underrepresented backgrounds
- Staff and students from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Accreditation programs for diversity and inclusion
Terms of reference
The Committee will:
- Identify the University priorities and objectives to advance Monash’s diversity and inclusion agenda.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Monash’s diversity and inclusion strategy and plans and ensure alignment with broader organisational strategy.
- Monitor University performance on a range of diversity and inclusion measures.
- Act as a reference group and make recommendations on relevant initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Provide advice on reporting to government agencies and on submissions for accreditation and benchmarking.
- Provide advice on the development of institutional responses to relevant policy and strategic initiatives taken by government and other external bodies.
- Commission and receive reports relating to diversity, inclusion, access and equity.
- Convene sub-committees and working groups to progress business as appropriate.
The committee will meet four times per year or as required
Substitutes will not be permitted unless a member plans to be absent from the University for more than four weeks.
The following shall be ex officio members of the committee:
- President and Vice-Chancellor (Co-Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Vice-President (Education) (Co-Chair)
- Provost or nominee
- Chief Operating Officer or nominee
- Chief Human Resources Officer
- Executive Director, Campus Community Division
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Indigenous)
- Manager, Staff Equity Programs
- Director, Social Inclusion (Access Monash)
- Monash Postgraduate Association nominee
- President of the campus-based student association (annual rotation between Monash Student Association, MONSU Caulfield, MONSU Peninsula )
- Subcommittee Chairs (Athena SWAN Steering Committee, White Ribbon Steering Committee, Diverse Genders and Sexualities Advisory Group, Monash University Diversity and Inclusion Network)
- Executive Officer
The quorum for the meetings of the committee is one third of the membership taken to the nearest whole number.
The committee may co-opt members as required. Other senior staff to attend by invitation as appropriate.
The following committees and advisory groups report to the Diversity and Inclusion Committee:
- Athena SWAN Steering Committee (also known as ‘Self-Assessment Team’)
- White Ribbon Steering Committee
- Diverse Genders and Sexualities Advisory Group
- Monash University Diversity and Inclusion Network
Provided by Monash HR.
Monitoring and Review
The committee’s Terms of Reference will be subject to annual review.
Meeting dates for 2018
|Meeting 1||13 March 2018|
|Meeting 2||29 May 2018|
|Meeting 3||28 August 2018|
|Meeting 4||13 November 2018|
Professor Margaret Gardner AO
Phone: (+61 3) 9902 9851