Stage four lockdown and university operations
12 February 2021
As announced by the Premier, Victoria will enter a five-day Stage Four lockdown effective 11.59pm (AEDT) tonight (Friday, 12 February) in an effort to contain the spread of the Holiday Inn cluster – please view the full table of restrictions. As the Premier stated, higher education will close or move to remote learning.
We appreciate this is challenging news, however the University will adapt its teaching arrangements and campus operations to align with Victorian Government advice and to minimise the disruption to your studies.
Teaching and learning arrangements
- The University will align with the Victorian Government and shift to online classes for current on-campus education until Thursday, 18 February.
- Please ignore your timetable from Monday 15 to Wednesday 17 February and refer to Moodle for next week’s learning.
- Any on-campus practicals and workshops will be postponed until after the lockdown if possible (unless these can be delivered online).
- Libraries will close temporarily for library services which will instead be offered online.
- Emergency study spaces for students who cannot study from home will be available at Peninsula, Caulfield and Matheson libraries between the hours of 9.00am to 5.00pm.
- If you’re currently on a clinical placement, please continue to follow the advice of your placement providers and the clinical placements information webpage.
We’re still planning to provide Orientation Week (22-26 February) activities and on-campus learning for students in semester one in line with current State Government restrictions, however we’ll continue to monitor the situation closely as this advice may change.
- Monash Connect front counters will be closed, however all other channels will remain open.
- Monash Residential Services (MRS) will remain open, and the MRS Halls Cafe will offer takeaway food for residents.
- University Health Services at Caulfield, Clayton and Peninsula campuses will remain open, including the COVID-19 Fast Track Clinic at Clayton, and COVID-19 telehealth consultations and testing.
- Only campus retailers that provide essential products or services will be open, including the Monash Merchant, Monash Campus Centre Pharmacy and post office.
- Food and beverage retailers will remain open for takeaway only.
- Monash Sport will close until Thursday, 18 February, however online programs will continue to be offered.
Your health, safety and wellbeing
The University’s Chief Medical Officer continues to be in frequent contact with the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) on the evolving situation. We’ll keep you informed as further government announcements are made.
Please continue to visit the COVID-19 updates website for the latest information, and remember to reach out for support if you need it through the University counselling services by calling (03) 9905 3020.