Future Leaders Program
Science Future Leaders 2023
If you are passionate about science and aspire to make a difference in the world, then the Science Future Leaders Program is for you.
The Science Future Leaders Program has been developed to identify and cultivate the science leaders of the future.
Activities undertaken during the year-long program will assist you in developing a range of skills relevant to leadership in your studies and career. Activities include a 2-day induction, a series of leadership workshops, and the opportunity to practice leadership within the university, your chosen profession, and/or wider community.
As a participant, you can expect to:
- develop further and gain a deeper understanding of your leadership style and harness your leadership potential through skills training and fun-filled team-building games and activities;
- engage with the broader community by putting leadership into practice;
- foster your personal and professional networks through engagement with your peers, senior members of the Faculty and University, as well as leaders in science, industry and the broader community;
- develop and challenge yourself; and
- enhance your CV through the experience and new skills gained.
To complete the program, you will need to commit to the following:
- Attend the 2-day induction in February 2023;
- Attend 6 evening leadership workshops held during the year;
- Attend the celebration dinner at the end of the program held in October/November 2023.
Please note: If you are unable to commit to attending/participating in any of the above, please do not apply.
The two-day induction will take place during the week starting 20 February 2023. As soon as we know the exact date, we will publish it here. At this induction, you will learn how to identify and make the most out of your leadership style through leadership training and team building activities.
Six evening workshops will be held during the year and are designed to revisit and build on theory and practice built during the induction workshop. These leadership workshops are also designed to provide you with the opportunity to discover what leadership encompasses across a wide range of contexts, and to learn the secrets of success from inspiring leaders from diverse backgrounds.
Leadership in action
As part of the program, you will have the opportunity to put your leadership training into action by demonstrating leadership in the university, your chosen profession and/or the wider community through a group project.
On completion of the program you'll have a chance to celebrate and share your achievements at a special dinner in November. You will get to hear from guest speakers about their leadership journey, as well as receive a certificate in recognition of your participation in the program.
|Week of 20 February (O-week)||Induction (2 days)|
|Week of 13 March||Leadership workshop 1 (week 3, S1), 6-8pm|
|Week of 3 April||Leadership workshop 2 (week 6, S1), 6-8pm|
|Week of 1 May||Leadership workshop 3 (week 9, S1), 6-8pm|
|Week of 7 August||Leadership workshop 4 (week 3, S2), 6-8pm|
|Week of 28 August||Leadership workshop 5 (week 6, S2), 6-8pm|
|Week of 18 September||Leadership workshop 6 (week 9, S2), 6-8pm|
Please note: Workshops will be delivered in person. It is important to note that the mode of delivery and dates are subject to change and will be communicated as early as possible.
Eligibility criteria and exclusions
To be eligible for the program, you must be enrolled as a second-year to penultimate or final year undergraduate student of a Science degree in 2023, including cross-faculty double degrees (but excluding BSc (Honours) and BSc Advanced – Global Challenges).
You are welcome to apply for Ancora Imparo, but if you are accepted into the Future Leaders Program, you must elect to do one or the other (i.e. you cannot do both).
Entry into the program will be based on:
- past contribution to, and involvement in, university/community leadership activities;
- satisfactory academic progress;
- student responses to selection questions in the application form and
- an interview video.
There is a quota of 30 students per year.
Application form and due date
To be considered for this program, there are two steps to the application process:
- Step 1 – Written Application: Complete the written application in the link below and share some of your past involvements in volunteering and leadership activities
- Step 2 – Video Recording Submission: You will also be required to submit a video interview answering 2 questions no later than Tuesday, 31 January 2023 (instructions to submit the video interview are located on the last section of the application form).
Selection process timeline
31 January 2023
13 February 2023
Applicants notified of outcome
Week of 20 February 2023
For further information please contact us via email: firstname.lastname@example.org