If you have successfully completed study at another tertiary institution prior to commencing your Monash course you may be eligible to apply for credit towards your Science course. Credit for prior learning can reduce the time required to complete your Monash course and ensure your previous learning is not duplicated. The study you have done will be assessed to establish that it is:
- equal in content and standard to units offered at Monash, and
- relevant to your planned course of study.
Credit may be given for all units for which equivalence of learning is established but you will still be required to complete and pass at least 48 credit points to be awarded your Monash degree subject to the Faculty limits on credit policy.
How do I apply?
Once you have received and accepted your offer to study a Science course download and complete a credit application form (pdf, 96kb) and submit this to Science Student Services on your campus of enrolment.
All official documents (i.e. academic transcripts, certificates), if not original, must be certified by a person authorised to witness statutory declarations. These persons include a Justice of the Peace, registered Medical Practitioner, Veterinary Surgeon, Pharmacist or Police Officer who has served for more than five years.
You can use the online credit search to see some outcomes of previous credit applications at Monash. Please note that the system is a guide only. Contact Science Student Services if details of your credit are not listed.
What information will I need to provide?
Applications for credit must be submitted with the following documents:
- Your academic transcript for the previous course for which you are seeking credit (original or certified copy is required);
- a key to the results (this is often printed on the back of the transcript);
- an extract from the handbook of the previous institution showing details of the course structure, credit point or equivalent weighting of the course you were studying; and
- unit syllabuses for all units for which credit is sought, including assessment requirements for those units.