Credit for prior learning

If you have successfully completed study at another tertiary institution prior to commencing your Monash course you may be eligible to apply for credit towards your Science course. Credit for prior learning can reduce the time required to complete your Monash course and ensure your previous learning is not duplicated. The study you have done will be assessed to establish that it is:

  • equal in content and standard to units offered at Monash, and
  • relevant to your planned course of study.

Credit may be given for all units for which equivalence of learning is established but you will still be required to complete and pass at least 48 credit points to be awarded your Monash degree subject to the Faculty limits on credit policy.

You can use the online credit search to see some outcomes of previous credit applications at Monash. Please note that the system is a guide only.

How do I apply?

Apply using the online credit application

Direct applicants - apply for credit once you have lodged an application for admission to a science course. Your application will be assessed if you have receive an offer for a science course.

VTAC applicants – apply for credit when you receive an offer for a science course.

Help using the application

Instructions for the online credit application (pdf 440kb)

What information will I need to provide?

Applications for credit must be submitted with the following documents:

  • Your academic transcript for the previous course for which you are seeking credit (original or certified copy is required);
  • a key to the results (this is often printed on the back of the transcript);
  • an extract from the handbook of the previous institution showing details of the course structure, credit point or equivalent weighting of the course you were studying; and
  • a unit syllabus for all units for which credit is sought, including assessment requirements for those units.

You are not required to provide these documents If you are applying for credit for Monash units.

Where do I go for more information?