Schools and departments
- Central Clinical School
- Clinical Sciences at Monash Health
- Eastern Health Clinical School
- Monash School of Medicine
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Primary and Allied Health Care
- School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
- School of Rural Health
- School of Biomedical Sciences (Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute)
- School of Psychological Sciences
School of Biomedical Sciences (Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute)
The School of Biomedical Sciences is a part of the Sub-Faculty of Biomedical Sciences and the Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute. Our talented scientists conduct research in cancer, cardiovascular disease, development and stem cells, drug discovery, immunology and infection, metabolism and obesity, neuroscience and structural biology.
The departments in the school include:
Central Clinical School
The school is co-located with The Alfred hospital and is an integral part of the Alfred Medical Research and Education Precinct (AMREP). CCS is a centre for clinical and biomedical research and education and a core hub for translational research and medicine, covering a great breadth of subject areas.
The centres and departments in the school include:
- Division of Clinical Sciences
- Anaesthesia and Perioperative Medicine
- Allergy, Clinical Immunology and Respiratory Medicine
- Blood Diseases (ACBD)
- Immunology, Pathology
- Infectious Diseases
- Department of Psychiatry - Central
- Sexual Health (MSHC)
- Trauma and emergency medicine
Clinical Sciences (at Monash Health)
The school's research focuses on diverse issues relevant to primary health care and general practice, reflecting the variety of expertise among the academic team of social scientists, health educators and medical and allied health practitioners.
The departments and research groups in the school include:
- Molecular and Translational Science (Hudson Institute)
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Eastern Health Clinical School
We are one of three clinical schools within the Faculty. The school's activities within Eastern Health cover a wide area of Melbourne, including seven hospitals, four residential care facilities, multiple community-based rehabilitation and transition care facilities, seven mental health facilities, a community health service, and two state wide services (Spectrum Borderline Personality Disorder Service and Turning Point Alcohol & Drug Centre).
The main research unit is the Eastern Clinical Research Unit, and the ECRU Translational Research Division, is the development arm of ECRU which conducts a number of translational research projects in multiple disciplines.
Monash School of Medicine
Our internationally recognised medical training provides world class education in foundations of medicine such as Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry and Neurosciences, and clinical training in all disciplines including Medicine, Surgery, Women's and Children's Health, Mental Health, Primary Health and Rural Health. Available to both Australian and international students, our program is designed for those committed to professional training and academic excellence as well as personal and professional development.
School of Nursing and Midwifery
The mission of the school is to be one of the finest and most innovative Schools of Nursing and Midwifery in Australia. It aims to embrace excellence in teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate level locally, nationally and internationally. Through collaboration, it will develop a clearly focussed and competitive practice-based research profile that will be highly regarded by the profession and by industry.
Find out more about the school's research focus areas
School of Primary and Allied Health Care
The school's research focuses on diverse issues relevant to primary health care and general practice, reflecting the variety of expertise amongst the academic team of social scientists, health educators and medical and allied health practitioners.
The departments, centres and units in the school include:
- Department of Paramedicine
- Department of General Practice
- Department of Occupational Therapy
- Department of Physiotherapy
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Medical Imaging & Radiation Sciences
- Southern Academic Primary Care Research Unit (SAPCRU).
- Rehabilitation, Ageing and Independent Living (RAIL) Research Centre
School of Psychological Sciences
The School of Psychological Sciences is ranked among the best in the world, the school's mission is to develop students and research outcomes that make significant contributions to improving the lives of others globally.
School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine
The school emphasises expertise in large epidemiological studies, multicentre clinical trials, clinical registries, evidence synthesis and health social science. Continued collaborative work with the major Monash affiliated hospitals, research institutes and public health units within Victoria, ensures the school provides a key resource underpinning translational research within our Faculty.
The School's divisions are divided into clinical and methodological streams:
- Acute and Critical Care
- Chronic Disease and Ageing
- Forensic Medicine
- Health Systems, Services and Policy
- Planetary Health
- Biostatistics, Data Analytics/Modelling and Health Economics
- Clinical and Health data Outcomes Innovation and Research
- Clinical Trials and Cohort Studies
- Evidence Synthesis, Qualitative and Implementation Methods
- Teaching and Learning
School of Rural Health
The School of Rural Health is committed to improved health outcomes in rural communities, and a sustainable rural health workforce. With eight clinical teaching sites, our footprint stretches from Mildura in the north-west to Bairnsdale in the south-east. The school delivers the Monash MD in our rural and regional sites across Victoria. Year A of the Monash School of Medicine's graduate entry MD program is based at the school's Churchill site.