Information Technology Supplementary Assessment Guidelines
- This applies to students enrolled in coursework award programs.
- Only one supplementary assessment can be approved for graduate diplomas.
- A maximum of two (2) supplementary assessments can be approved in a double degree program.
- No supplementary assessments can be approved for non-award (single unit) enrolment and for graduate certificate.
The Faculty's Board of Examiners (BOE) will identify eligible cases and award a temporary NS grade.
The Faculty's BOE can approve supplementary assessment for:
- a unit from any faculty, if it is undertaken within a FIT single degree;
- FIT (only) units that form part of double degrees, if that failed unit is the final unit required to complete the FIT component of the double degree, and only after consulting with the Managing Faculty of the double degree.
- one unit in the penultimate semester, and only at that semester's BOE, providing that all other units in that semester were passed; OR
- up to two units in the final semester where it deems that there are special circumstances, and where no other supplementary assessments have previously been granted.
The BOE will approve supplementary assessments, in circumstances where all of the following criteria are met:
The failed units:
- are worth no more than 12 credit points in total;
- have a final mark in the range of 45-49%;
- are not capstone units; and
- were attempted within the last 12 months (result release dates determine this timeframe).
The student is within 30 credit points of completion (i.e. eligible failed unit can be in the penultimate semester; and in such cases, the supplementary assessment will be approved only at that semester's BOE.
The Faculty may choose to award supplementary assessment in the unit(s) in such a form and schedule it at such a time as stipulated in the University Unit Assessment Procedures.
The Faculty Unit Assessment Hurdles and any approved unit hurdles are to be applied at the discretion of the Chief Examiner, prior to finalising the result.
Finalising the result:
A supplementary assessment cannot be deferred, and if not completed, a Fail result will be returned. If the supplementary assessment is failed, the unit's result will be returned to the original grade. If the supplementary assessment is passed, a 50 P will be the final result.
Supplementary assessment grades much be finalised at the publication date for Supplementary and Deferred Examination results, except in exceptional circumstances approved by the Dean (or delegate) of the Faculty.
Students cannot apply for Supplementary Assessment. The Board of Examiners will identify and approve supplementary assessment for eligible cases and award a temporary NS grade.
The maximum result that can be awarded for a unit after supplementary assessment is 50% (P). The Faculty Unit Assessment Hurdles and any approved unit hurdles must be applied prior to finalising the result.