Honours and Masters thesis
Monash IT offers the option to undertake a research project during your degree, either as an honours year for undergraduate students, or a minor thesis for postgraduate students.
Benefits of completing a research project:
- Extend your knowledge in a field of interest
- Stand out in your chosen field
- Start an academic career
- Get on track to a higher degree
- Competitive advantage in your career
- Use state-of-the-art research facilities
- Develop your communication, research, academic writing, project management and problem-solving skills
See the application process for undergraduate and postgraduate courses below.
You can begin your Honours year in either March or July in any year. It is normally completed in one year of full-time study. It can be completed in two years of part-time study if approval can be obtained.
Full year thesis
To be eligible for the standard full year postgraduate research stream, students must have successfully completed 24 points of level five (non-foundation) FIT units, achieved an overall average of at least 75 per cent across the best four of these units and at least a distinction in FIT5125 IT research methods.
Master’s students can commence their minor thesis in either Semester 1 or 2. The minor thesis MUST be completed across the final two semesters of your degree.
Single semester thesis
To be eligible for the single semester postgraduate research stream, students must have successfully completed 24 points of level five (non-foundation) FIT units, achieved an overall average of at least 80 per cent across the best four of all of these units and at least a distinction in FIT5125 IT research methods.
Enrolment in the research units is also dependent on available supervisors and projects. Students will be ranked based on their entire academic record and assessed for their suitability to undertake the research component of this program.
The research stream is available in the following courses:
- Master of Artificial Intelligence (C6007)
- Master of Business Information Systems (C6003)
- Master of Data Science (C6004)
- Master of Information Technology (C6001)
- Master of Cybersecurity (C6002)
How to Apply
- Ensure you are aware of the eligibility requirements for the research stream (refer to the Handbook entry for your degree).
- Complete and submit the Application for entry into the Research Stream of IT Coursework Masters Degrees and submit by the due date. Students will be notified by email when applications open each semester.
For commencement of the research stream in semester 1: 31 January
For commencement of the research stream in semester 2: 30 June
How to enrol and re-enrol
Enrolment into thesis units will be manually processed by faculty staff. Students will not be able to enrol or re-enrol in research units via WES.
1. Thesis candidates are not permitted to repeat any thesis component units for which they have received a fail mark and grade.
2. Supplementary assessment is not available for any component unit of the program.
3. Students receiving a fail mark and grade for a thesis unit will need to transfer to the Industry Experience stream of their IT Masters program.