Graduate research orientation and resources
For our Graduate Research Students
We wish you a warm welcome to the Faculty of Information Technology and our Graduate research community.
Please let us know when you are arriving
To make sure that everything here in the Faculty of Information Technology is ready for you on arrival arrive, please email;
- Rachael Unwin if you are to be based at Clayton campus
- May Chew if you are to be based at Caulfield campus
Or email the Graduate Research team to let us know when you are planning on making your first trip to Monash Clayton or Caulfield Campuses.
Arriving in Australia as International Student - You can request an Airport pick up service
Make an appointment to meet your supervisor
You will need to contact your Supervisor in order to schedule your first meeting. This should take place on, or leading up to, your enrolment day. The best way to arrange this is to email your supervisor.
Print off your paperwork
You will have been sent up to four important forms with your offer letter. Please print them out and bring all these documents with you come to enrol.
- Offer letter
- Faculty Scholarship letter (if applicable)
- Course enrolment form
- Ethics form
- Intellectual Property form
Meet your Graduate Research Administrator
Depending on which campus your supervisor is located and where you will also be based the Graduate Coordinator, FIT Clayton, or the Graduate Coordinator, FIT, Caulfield, will be your first point of contact for any administrative matters that arise during your candidature. Please make sure to bring along your course enrolment form, and they will assist you in filling it out. For details about the courses you will be enrolling in see HANDBOOK – Information Technology PhD Program
The Faculty of IT, Graduate Research Coordinator Rachael Unwin can be found in office G14, 25 Exhibition Walk (Building 63), Clayton Campus. If you get lost, call on (+61 3) 9905 6655 or email Rachael Unwin
Location 2 - Caulfield
The Faculty of IT, Graduate Research Coordinator May Chew can be found in the Caulfield campus office Level 6, Building H, Caulfield Campus. If you get lost, call on (+61 3) 9903 2257 or email May Chew
If your campus Faculty of IT Graduate Research Coordinators are not available you can always email the Graduate Research team and one of the team members will reply.
Meet with your supervisor
As a part of your arrival orientation, you must have your first meeting with your supervisor. Your Graduate Student Services Coordinator will have given you a copy of the First Meetings Kit. Together with your supervisor, you will need to fill out your Ethics and Intellectual Property forms.
Get your enrolment papers stamped
Before you take your enrolment papers to the Monash Graduate Research Office you will need to first visit the FIT Graduate Research office to get your enrolment forms checked and stamped. Make sure you bring along your Offer letter, Course Enrolment form, along with your completed Ethics and IP forms.
You’re ready to enrol
You can now take your completed and approved Course Enrolment, Ethics and IP forms over to Monash Graduate Research
You can find the Monash Graduate Research office in Chancellery Building D, 26 Sports Walk (building 3D), Clayton Campus.
Get your student ID card
Once your enrolment is complete, you can collect your student card from Monash connect.
At Clayton campus you will find Monash Connect on the ground floor of the Campus Centre, 21 Chancellors walk (building 10), Clayton Campus.
At Caulfield campus you will find Monash Connect on the ground floor of Building B, Caulfield campus
Activate your student ID card and find your office
Once you have enrolled and received your student card, return to the Faculty of IT building (Clayton Location 1 or Caulfield Location 2) and visit the Graduate Research Coordinator make arrangements to activate your Student ID card access and receive the keys to your office.
Your Key contacts in FIT
At FIT Caulfield campus
FIT Office Level 6, Building H, Caulfield Campus
Phone: 990 32535
IT Assistance (eSolutions) – Call 990 51777
At FIT Clayton campus
Reception desk staff
FIT Building 63, Ground floor, 25 Exhibition Walk, Clayton Campus
Phone: 990 55200
IT Assistance (eSolutions) – Call 990 51777
Monash Malaysia - School of Information Technology
Level 4, Building 2, Monash University Malaysia, Jalan Lagoon Selatan, 46150, Bandar Sunway, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Tel: (+603) 5514 6000
Your Desk Space
The Faculty of IT endeavours to supply work space to all enrolled full time graduate research students. This space is either shared office space or a large cubicle space and under desk lockable storage unit. A standard desk top computer is also supplied for each graduate research student.
For allocation or issues regarding space and equipment, please contact:
Caulfield: Ms Oz Kobak
Clayton: Ms Kerry McManus or Mrs Genevieve Oreski
Or speak with your campus Graduate Research Student Services Coordinator
Your key contacts at Monash University
Monash - General
- Careers, Leadership and Volunteering
- First Aid
- Monash Sport
- Monash Web Enrolment System (WES)
- Non-residential Colleges
- Residential Services
- Safer Community Unit
- Social Justice Unit
- Student Emergency Grants
- Student loans
- Technology research platforms
- Transport and parking
- University Health Services
- University maps
The Monash Graduate Association produces an excellent resource for new research students, please visit the MGA Orientation page for services and events for HDR postgraduates (Masters by Research and PhD).
Our Faculty usually holds two induction seminars per year for our new Graduate Research Students. One in first semester (usually April) and one in second semester (usually October). Attending an Induction program is compulsory and one of the research training requirements of your Monash Doctoral program. Your Graduate Research Student Coordinator will advise you about these.
Accommodation and living in Melbourne
- Residential Services
- On –campus accommodation SEE Monash Residential Colleges
- Monash Residential Colleges
- Non-Residential Colleges
This is a very helpful online service you can ask any question at all about the University, its Faculties, services and facilities and you will receive a prompt reply.
Banks & Banking
- ATMs are located on most campuses for locations ask at the Caulfield campus MONSU and Clayton campus MSA
- There are branches of the Commonwealth Bank and the Westpac Bank on Clayton campuses
- List of Banks in Australia
- Eat Drink Shop
- Bookshops Caulfield The Campus Bookstore and Clayton Campus Bookshop details
- Campus Maps includes
- Location Maps
- Metlink journey planner
- Transport and Parking
- Mobility Maps (PDFs) showing access and Disabled parking see Transport and Parking
Student-run clubs and associations are a great way to get involved and meet people. Whether you want to get fit, join a study group or help others, there's a group waiting for your membership.
Destination Monash an excellent resource designed for international students but has useful information for many students.
Distance Education see also Part-time students
Emergencies and After hours medical contacts in an emergency dial 3333
Ambulance - Tel: 000
Campus security - Tel: 333 (9905 3333)
After hours medical services
- Tel: 132 660 - Doctor
(home visit, bulk bills for Medicare card holders)
- Tel: 137 425 - National Home Doctor Service
(home visit, bulk bills for Medicare card holders and Allianz members)
Hospitals and medical clinics
Facilities and Services
- Facilities and services for Graduate Research Students
- Monash University Facilities & Services
- Faculty of IT Safety
First Talk Kits
- Will be given to you by your Graduate Research Student Coordinator
FIT Graduate Research Students Committees
- HDR Student Committees see Graduate Research Student Committee(GRSC)
- Graduate Research Student Committee (GRSC)
- Rejitha Ravindra
- Rejitha Ravindra
- Utari Wijayanti
- Mostafa Rizk
- Thomas Hendrey
- Yathindu Hettiarachchige
- Chait Manapragada
- Graduate student representatives on the FIT Graduate Research Committee - Caulfield campus, Clayton campus, Gippsland campus, Malaysian campus representatives.
- See also Women in IT Research network
HDR Student Committee see FIT Graduate Student Committee
Health and Well-being see also Support for International Students
Higher Degree by Research (HDR) – the term HDR is no longer used at Monash University please refer to Graduate Research
There are usually two induction programs held each year one in first semester in April and one in second semester in October. Attending an Induction program is compulsory and one of the training requirements of your Monash Doctoral program. Your Graduate Research Student Coordinator will advise you about these.
- Destination Monash an excellent resource designed for international students but has useful information for all students
- International student orientation
- Support for International Students
- Support services for students with families in Australia
- Examples include AMSI
IT and Communications
- Acceptable use of IT policy
- IT and Communications and IT Support\Printers Request IT services via Service Desk Online to query an existing request go to Service Desk Online or call extension 51777.
Learning Skills see also Graduate Student Academic Support (GSAS)
PhD, Doctoral and MPhil candidates are entitled to annual leave throughout their candidature. Full-time candidates are entitled to a maximum of 20 days per annum and part-time candidates are entitled to a maximum of 10 days per annum, pro rata. Annual leave can be accrued up to a maximum of 30 days for full-time candidates and 15 days for part-time candidates. Periods of annual leave are arranged by negotiation with the candidate’s main supervisor. Under certain circumstances candidates may apply for other types of leave from their candidature.
Please refer to the Doctoral handbook for more details on leave types, including sick leave and intermission: https://www.monash.edu/graduate-research/faqs-and-resources/content/chapter-four/4-1/
- Annual leave - must be approved before being taken. The Caulfield and Clayton campuses have a procedure using an Annual Leave Application form; speak with your Graduate Research Student Services Coordinator who will explain the approval process.
- For all official Candidature Leave, Sick leave and Intermission from candidature Please refer to the Doctoral handbook for more details on leave types handbook for doctoral degrees
- Library Resources
- Research and Learning
Melbourne - Living in Melbourne
Mobiles Phone see Office
Monash Graududate Researcher-Student edition is published by Monash Graduate Education (formerly MIGR) and provides you with information about the latest scholarships, prizes, internships, policy updates and upcoming development activities relevant to graduate research.
Monash in Focus is a fast-paced video news program, produced by the Strategic Marketing and Communications
The MPA aims to provide everything you ever needed to know about being a research postgraduate. If you have recently enrolled, you should consult the MPA research postgrad orientation page.
Monash Residential Colleges – See also accommodation and on campus accommodation
Monash University – see Getting started
Non-residential colleges provide students living off-campus with the opportunity to enhance their student experience while studying at Monash.By joining a non-residential college at either the Clayton or Caulfield campus, you'll have access to a fun and supportive environment.
- Office Space - The Faculty of IT endeavours to supply space to all enrolled full time graduate research students. This space is either shared office space or a large cubicle space and under desk lockable storage unit. A standard desk top computer is also supplied for each research student. For issues regarding space and equipment, please contact at Caulfield: Michelle Ketchen (email@example.com) and at Clayton: Kerry McManus (firstname.lastname@example.org) or speak with your campus Graduate Research Student Services Coordinator
- Computer Resources - A standard desk top computer is also supplied for each research student. For issues regarding space and equipment, please contact at Caulfield: Michelle Ketchen mailto:(email@example.com) and at Clayton: Kerry McManus(firstname.lastname@example.org) or speak with your campus Graduate Research Student Services Coordinator
- IT and Communications and IT Support\Printers Request IT services via Service Desk Online to query an existing request go to Service Desk Online or call extension 51777
- Guidelines for sharing an office space and Office etiquette. There are many obline resources on office etiquette and sharing an office space they key things to be mindful about are being respectful to others, keeping your noise and disruptions to a minimum (for eg when you’re in your office always keep your mobile phone on silent, and take your cionversations outside when listening to online lectures, Tedtalks etc always use earphones. Be aware of that the food you love to eat may be an odour your coleagues wont enjoy so have a dicussuion on about whether it is okay to eat at your desk our in your office. http://www.wikihow.com/Practice-Office-Etiquette
- Office wise – A Guide to Health and Safety in the Office
- Mobile Phones see Guidelines for sharing an office space and Office etiquette. See also Telephones
- Acceptable use of IT policy
Parking and Parking Permits see Travel
Personal safety - see Safety and Security
The Monash Student Charter sets out the expectations of students and the University regarding academic engagement, integrity, behaviour and wellbeing.
- Admissions, enrolments and pathways (credit, enrolment...)
- Assessment (grading scale, special consideration...)
- Awards, courses and units
For a full list, see academic policies.
Integrity and plagiarism
Misconduct, discipline and exclusion
Residential Colleges see on campus accommodation
Safety and Security
- Safety and problem behaviour
- Security services
- Safer Community Unit
- Security orientation video in English, Arabic, Cantonese, Hindi, Indonesian, Malaysian, Mandarin, Spanish, Vietnamese.
Do you know that if you are working after 6pm at night or on Weekends you are able to call Campus Security and advise them of your name and location and they will check on you; they also ask that you let them know when your leave.
|Security orientation video|
|View the video in other languages|
Salaam Monash handbook for Muslim students
Shuttle Bus capus to campus see Travel Intercampus Shuttle Bus
Social Events and Staying Informed
You’ll receive regular emails Inviting you to events such as Graduate Research Students Committee gatherings and seminars, Invitations to brunches with the Associate Dean Graduate research, Invitations to attend PhD Graduation celebrations and Cultural events and notices about academic seminars
- Student News and Notices
- Faculty of IT website
- Emails on Seminars
- The Monash Graduate Researcher - Student Edition is published by Monash Graduate Education (formerly MIGR) and provides you with information about the latest scholarships, prizes, internships, policy updates and upcoming development activities relevant to graduate research.
- Monash in Focus - Monash in Focus is a fast-paced video news program, produced by the Strategic Marketing and Communications https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjZkU1vM_0aUEEc4O71A8eHFBOFQH1zZ6
- Monash Insider - weekly email on news and events and opportunities at Monash emailed to everyone with an @monash.edu email address
Sport see Monash Sport
Student clubs see Clubs and Associations
We strongly recommend that if you have problems of any sort that are likely to affect your studies please seek advice and help immediately from your Supervisors, your campus Graduate Research Coordinator, your FIT campus Head, the Associate Dean Graduate Research the counselling service, the health services or elsewhere. The Faculty is keen to provide support to all our Graduate Research students so that you are able to achieve their full potential.
Submission of Thesis see handbook for doctoral degrees
Supervisors and Supervision
- First Talk Kits (PDF) this kit will be given to you by your Graduate Research Student Coordinator
- Code of Practice for supervision
Telephones see also Office Arangements
All Monash internal extension numbers use the last 5 digits of the phone number, for example, the FIT Clayton campus’s general number is 9905 5200, and the internal extension is 55200. Likewise all Monash internal extension numbers have an external prefix of 990X XXXX. You can look up Monash Staff phone numbers in the Staff Directory. To make an external phone call dial 0 then the number you wish to call. The switchboard can be contacted by dialling x99. To call Security for general enquiries dial x53059. In an emergencydial x333. If you require any information regarding your VOIP phone (eg. how to setup voicemail, diversions, etc) please visit: https://monash.edu/esolutions/staff/
A copy of allFaculty of IT Thesis are held in the University Library. There are also FIT Thesis Libraries at Caulfield and Clayton campuses. The school theses libraries include work from a range of degrees including Honours, Graduate Diplomas, Masters (Minor Thesis and Research) and PhDs. They have been ordered by degree, year and surname. The documents are located in locked glass cabinets at Caulfield and Clayton campuses. Your Graduate Research Student Coordinator can give you access.
Monash Graduate Education's online thesis submission portal, paper based forms for thesis submission are no longer accepted as of 1 June, 2016. To confirm the thesis submission, two thermal thesis copies must be submitted. Since 1 January 2016, hard bound copies are no longer required by the university. In fact, Graduate Education will not accept or manage hard bound theses. The Faculty of IT intends to maintain its Library of hardbound PhD and MPhil theses. For students who have submitted from 1 January 2016, the faculty will meet the cost of the binding one PhD or MPhil thesis, per submitting student. For more details about how to arrange to have your thesis bound please contact email@example.com
- Intercampus Shuttle Bus
- Parking on campus and purchasing of parking permits
- Safety and Security
- Travel grants see Monash Graduate Research
- Travel Procedures see Monash Graduate Research
- Travelling around Melbourne
University Health Services and Counselling Services
Visas see Monash Connect
Women in IT Research Network - see also FIT Graduate Research Student Committees
Also contact Helen Cridland Project Coordinator I Office of the Associate Dean Graduate Research, Faculty of Information Technology.
Writing Workshops, Writing Literature Review contact Julie Holden
Graduate Student Academic Support (GSAS), Faculty of Information Technology