Supplementary exams and assessment
You can be granted a supplementary assessment for no more than two failed units in one course. The chief examiner for the unit will determine whether this is in the form of an additional exam or assessment task.
Your faculty may grant you a supplementary assessment if you meet all the following criteria:
- your final result is no more than five per cent below the required pass rate (i.e. you get a mark of 45–49)
- you have also passed all other units during the same teaching period
- a pass grade would complete all academic requirements for your degree or failing the unit would significantly impact your enrolment for the following semester.
You don't apply for a supplementary exam or assessment task. If applicable, your faculty will offer it to you. If offered a supplementary exam or assessment, your unit grade will display NS (supplementary assessment granted) in the Web Enrolment System (WES).
To find out the date, time and location of your exam, check your exam timetable in WES. See exam dates for when your timetable is made available.
Unless you want to sit your exam overseas, there is no fee or paperwork involved.
The faculties listed below have additional guidelines for granting supplementary assessment:
- Art Design and Architecture
- Engineering (Supplementary Assessment Policy) (pdf, 0.06 mb)
- Information Technology (Monash only)
- Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Science (pdf, 0.15 mb).
How this affects your results
Until you complete your deferred exam or supplementary exam/assessment, you'll have an incomplete result. An incomplete result does not satisfy unit prerequisites. This could prevent you from enrolling in some units. Please check your enrolment carefully and consult your faculty.
Once you complete a supplementary exam or assessment, the maximum result you can receive is 50% P (pass grade).
You may be able to sit your supplementary exam at an overseas venue. For details, see sitting your supplementary exam overseas.
Unable to sit a supplementary exam
If you're unable to sit your supplementary exam (due to exceptional circumstances beyond your control), you may be eligible for special consideration. To apply, use the end-of-semester assessment form (pdf, 0.06 mb) and submit it to the faculty teaching the unit.
- Deferred and supplementary exam dates
- On-campus students sitting a deferred or supplementary exam overseas
- Special consideration
- Failing a unit
- Deferred exams and final assessment