Intermission (study leave)
Once you have started your course you may choose to apply for study leave. Usually, leave is granted for a maximum of 12 months at a time. This is one full year or two consecutive semesters. You can also apply for study leave for one semester.
- If you need to take a longer period of study leave, you must re-apply when the initial period expires.
- If you want to return early, contact your faculty.
You are required to complete your degree within a certain timeframe, which includes periods of intermission. See study load and attendance.
When to apply
To avoid financial and academic penalties, apply for intermission during the enrolment period. If you plan to go on study leave for only one semester, you need to re-enrol in the other semester. For specific dates, see re-enrolment for coursework students.
When applying for intermission before the census date, you can apply for a fee refund or remission of loan debt. Refunds will not be given if you apply after the census date, other than under exceptional circumstances.
Eligibility and how to apply
Domestic coursework students
- Apply for intermission using WES.
- Record your transaction number.
If you're on a student visa, you can get approval for study leave only for compassionate or compelling situations. Examples of compassionate or compelling situations are:
- you face a situation where there is little or no alternative but to provide support to your family
- serious illness or a serious medical condition affecting your ability to study
- bereavement of a close family member where you need to provide assistance or support
- social or political upheaval in your country affecting your family.
Submit an intermission application (PDF, 0.08 MB)
Submit an intermission application (PDF, 0.08 MB) to Student Services.
Outcomes and notification
- You will receive notification within two weeks by email to your Monash account.
- Keep checking your Monash email account for important information while you are on study leave.
- Inform the University of any postal address change so re-enrolment information can be sent to you.
During your study leave
While you're on study leave:
- you remain a student of Monash University
- any enrolled units will be automatically discontinued
- you must keep your contact details up to date to receive communication from the University.
Returning from study leave
You will receive a reminder to re-enrol in early September. You must re-enrol during this time to avoid a late fee. See re-enrolment for coursework students.