As a Monash University student, you may be eligible to apply for a card that entitles you to cheaper public transport fares. There are different concessions for domestic and international students. Choose from the tabs below.
If you're not eligible for any of the travel concessions below, the Monash Commuter Club offers a 10 per cent discount on a yearly myki pass.
Victorian Public Transport student concession card
The public transport student concession card entitles you to pay a concession fare instead of the full-price.
Applications for 2017 are now closed. If you need a domestic transport concession form for 2017, contact Monash Connect directly.
Applications for 2018 will be available to download in WES in late January. If you're eligible, download a transport concession form in WES.
Take your completed form and photo to one of the locations below:
- PTV Hubs
- Premium stations
- V/Line ticket agents
- Staffed V/Line stations (call 1800 800 007 for locations and operating hours).
You're eligible for a transport concession card if you are:
- an Australian citizen or holder of an Australian Permanent Residency Visa
- a student with refugee status
- a student with an Australian Development Scholarship (Australia Awards student).
You also have to be either:
- a full-time, undergraduate student (minimum 0.375 EFTSL per semester)
- attending a school/college/institution as part of an approved overseas exchange program. Your Monash course title must have the word EXCHANGE.
You are not eligible if you're:
- a New Zealand citizen with a Special Category Visa (you must have an Australian Permanent Residency Visa)
- a postgraduate or PhD student
- an international student and your course title doesn't have EXCHANGE
- an off-campus learning or distance education student
- enrolled in a course which is less than 10 weeks long
- enrolled part-time (less than 0.375 EFTSL per semester).
You receive a free concession myki card when you apply for a Victorian Public Transport Student Concession card.
International undergraduate student education pass: iUSEpass
The iUSEpass entitles you to a 50% discount on the price of an annual transport pass. It allows unlimited travel for 365 days from the date of first use. The pass is for a whole year and allows you to travel on trains, buses and trams (if available).
Upfront payment is required for the entire 12 months. The cost is half price of the usual yearly pass. For prices, see the application information below.
Choosing your zones
Depending on where you want to travel, you can choose to buy a pass to travel in:
- zones 1 and 2 (all suburbs of metropolitan Melbourne)
- zone 2 only (the outer suburbs of metropolitan Melbourne)
- a regional zone (areas beyond the suburbs, such as Geelong, Bendigo, etc.)
When to apply
Applications close on 30 November 2017. This means that no new codes can be downloaded in the Web Enrolment System (WES). If you have a code and have not redeemed it with PTV by 5pm on 30 November, it will no longer be valid.
New codes will be made available for 2018 early in January.
- New students: apply after enrolment and before the closing date
- Current students: apply any time before the closing date
Important: Before you request a travel pass, check the metropolitan zones page to ensure you buy the correct one. Use the relevant process below to apply for the pass that covers your zones.
How to apply for Zones 1 and 2 or Zone 2 only
- Check you meet the government's eligibility criteria in the Web Enrolment System.
- If you're eligible, submit your application to receive an email with your iUSEpass code.
- When you receive your code, login to myki international student card and follow the instructions.
- Use a credit card or BPAY to pay for the pass for your selected zone:
- $799.50 for zones 1 and 2
- $546 for zone 2 only.
- Your pass will be sent to you in the mail within 7-10 days.
How to apply for a regional zone
- Submit a request through ask.monash for a regional iUSEpass code.
- Prices vary depending on which zone you purchase.
If you're in doubt about your eligibility, check the travel concession links in the Web Enrolment System.
You're eligible for an iUSEpass if you are an international student (including those from New Zealand) enrolled in and currently studying one of the following Australian qualifications on a full-time basis at Monash University:
- advanced diploma
- associate degree
- bachelor degree (including honours).
Exchange and Monash Abroad students
Monash Abroad students are eligible, but the iUSEpass is for one year, so will only be of benefit to students completing two semesters.
Other exchange students who have the word EXCHANGE in their course title, are eligible for a domestic student travel concession card.
You're not eligible if you are enrolled in a:
- part-time course
- Monash College course
- Monash Short Course Centre
- graduate certificate
- graduate diploma
- master's degree
- doctoral degree.
Monash College students become eligible once they enrol in a Monash University course.