Remission (reversal) of loan debt

If you have to discontinue a unit after the census date, in special circumstances, you can apply to have your loan debt for the unit reversed.

You can only apply if you meet all three conditions below:

  1. your circumstances changed after the census date
  2. you were not able to discontinue your study before the census date
  3. you did not pass the unit.

Special circumstances

The special circumstances must:

  • make their full impact after the census date
  • be unusual, uncommon or abnormal
  • be beyond your control, and
  • make it impractical for you to pass the unit.


Special circumstances may include:

  • medical reasons (eg. illness occurring or worsening after the census date)
  • family reasons (eg. death, illness, an unexpected or severe change in financial situation)
  • employment-related reasons (eg. compulsory transfer or change of hours)
  • course-related reasons (eg. restructure of course).

How to apply


You must lodge your application within 12 months of discontinuing the unit.

If you failed the unit but did not formally discontinue, you must lodge your application within 12 months of the last day of that unit's semester.

Supporting documents

You need to attach documents (original or certified copy) to support your application. This can be from a doctor, counsellor, employer, etc., but not from your family or friends. Privacy laws prevent us from getting this information for you.

Supporting documentation should clearly explain:

  • the circumstances
  • when they occurred
  • why you were prevented from passing.

Notification of outcome

We'll advise you in writing within 20 working days of receiving your application. Please provide your postal address if you're no longer a current student.

Academic grades

If approved, a refund/reversal does not change your grade for the unit (you may still have a withdrawn late, withdrawn fail or fail grade on your academic record).


If we don't approve your application, you can request a review. See grievance and review procedures.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help