Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
International students on a student visa must have health cover for the length of their visa while studying in Australia. The Monash-preferred OSHC provider is Allianz Global Assistance. The Allianz Essentials OSHC policy (available through Monash) also comes with a member-based app called Sonder Essentials. This app includes a 24/7 in-person response function for critical incidents, as well as comprehensive safety and welfare features.
The benefits of full visa Allianz Essentials OSHC are:
- discounted single payment price
- no annual premium price rises
- included full visa Sonder Essentials app
- holiday credits added to your cover
- waived waiting periods for pre-existing mental health or pregnancy-related claims.
International students who are not on a student visa are strongly encouraged to purchase personal health cover for their time in Australia. Further details about health cover options are available from Allianz Global Assistance for overseas visitors.
The Department of Health also has information about health cover for students and visitors.
The Allianz Essentials OSHC policy (available through Monash) also comes with a member-based app called Sonder Australia. This is a 24/7 personal safety app that connects you with Sonder’s national support network.
Manage your wellbeing and safety with the Sonder Australia app:
A priority, geo-referenced alert notification to the Sonder Australia Support Centre to provide you with immediate in-person support, Australia-wide.
Gives you the ability to be remotely monitored, providing peace of mind and assurance, without compromising your privacy.
Walk with me
This function remotely monitors your location and route, providing high levels of assurance when travelling alone or in an unfamiliar environment. The system alerts Sonder Australia if required, and immediate support can be provided.
I am safe
In the event of a large-scale public or environmental incident, this function enables Sonder Australia to immediately understand your safety via a geographic alert system.
You can access your e-membership card through the My OSHC Assistant app. If you prefer to order a plastic hardcopy membership card, you will need to:
- nominate an Australian postal address for delivery
- present this membership card every time you visit a medical service provider.
Extras cover for ancillary services (optional)
You're not covered for ancillary type medical services. Read the policy document carefully so you understand which services are and aren't covered. If you want to upgrade your cover, you can buy OSHC Extras cover.
OSHC Extras is affordable and tailored for overseas students studying in Australia. OSHC Extras will cover you for some common health services not covered by your standard OSHC policy, such as benefits for dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic.
For detailed information about OSHC Extras or to join:
- visit the product information page
- or call 1800 808 700.
- Times to meet an OSHC adviser on campus
- Pregnancy fact sheet (400kb, pdf)
- Essentials - Policy document and members guide (1.79mb, pdf)
Create your Allianz OSHC account
- Go to the Allianz student login page
- Click Create account
- Enter the three fields below:
- Policy number - you can find your policy number on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Last name
- Date of birth
- Click continue
- Enter your email address and create a password
- Once you have successfully registered, you'll receive a confirmation email
- Follow the instructions on the email to verify your account
- Once verified, you can login and manage your OSHC account to:
- print a certificate of insurance (COI) for student visa purposes
- order a membership card
- update your details such as your address and phone.
University Health Services
As a Monash student, you have access to all the health services the University provides.