Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
International students on a student visa must have health cover for the length of their visa while studying in Australia. The Monash-preferred OSHC provider is Allianz Care and the benefits of this policy are:
- on-campus Allianz support staff
- holiday credits added to your cover
- waived waiting periods for pre-existing mental health or pregnancy-related claims
- the Sonder safety app with access to a 24/7 safety and support service.
If you choose for Monash to arrange your OSHC for you, we’ll arrange your OSHC policy with Allianz Care and will provide your personal details to them so they can schedule your policy. View the Allianz Essentials policy and members guide (pdf 158kb).
We strongly encourage international students who are not on a student visa to purchase personal health cover for their time in Australia. Further details about health cover options are available from Allianz Care for overseas visitors.
The Department of Health also has information about health cover for students and visitors.
As a Monash student, you also have access to all the University Health Services.
- Times to meet an OSHC adviser on campus
- Allianz Essentials policy and members guide (pdf 158kb)
- Allianz pregnancy fact sheet (pdf, 1.37 mb)
- Overseas Student Health Cover Policy - Section 6 (pdf, 0.28 mb)
Extras cover for ancillary services (optional)
The standard OSHC policy doesn’t cover you for ancillary type medical services. To upgrade your cover, you can buy OSHC Extras cover for some common health services like dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic.
Once you've purchased your Allianz OSHC policy
- Go to the MyHealth portal.
- Enter the three fields below:
- policy number (on your Confirmation of Insurance - COI)
- date of birth
- first three characters of your family name.
- Click Begin setup.
Youll receive your COI through email.
If you haven’t received your COI or can’t find it, contact an Allianz adviser at email@example.com
- Download the My OSHC Assistant app from your app store
- Review the terms and conditions and tap accept
- At the bottom of the screen tap Create your account
- Enter your policy number, surname and date of birth for your OSHC account
- Create a unique five digit pin code for your device
- Access your OSHC member services
- Access an e-membership card (or contact Allianz to order a plastic version)
- Download the Sonder safety app from your app store
- Tap the log in button
- Tap reset password and enter your Monash email address
- You will receive a password reset email
- Open the email on your phone and select the link to complete the process
Renewing your OSHC
If you need to extend your stay in Australia, it's important you have ongoing health cover for the duration of your visa.
- Work out how many more months of OSHC you need.
- Get an online quote with the online Allianz Care OSHC calculator (by purchasing OSHC with Allianz via this link, Allianz will provide Monash with your policy information for administrative and billing purposes). Or speak to an OSHC representative. If you're with another provider, please contact them directly to do this.
- Once you've renewed your cover, notify Monash University:
- log into WES (Web Enrolment System)
- select Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
- read the statement and click Continue
- complete the declaration with the start and end dates of your OSHC.