Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
International students on a student visa must have health cover for the length of their visa while studying in Australia. The Monash-preferred OSHC provider is Allianz Global Assistance and the benefits of this policy are:
- Sonder safety app with access to a 24/7 safety and support service
- on-campus Allianz support staff
- holiday credits added to your cover
- waived waiting periods for pre-existing mental health or pregnancy-related claims.
International students who are not on a student visa are strongly encouraged to purchase personal health cover for their time in Australia. Further details about health cover options are available from Allianz Global Assistance for overseas visitors.
The Department of Health also has information about health cover for students and visitors.
As a Monash student, you also have access to all the health services the University provides.
Sonder safety app
As part of Allianz Global Assistance you will get on-demand safety and wellbeing with the Sonder safety app including:
- Swipe access to 24/7 support
- Check on me for peace of mind
- Track my journey for when you’re travelling alone
- Safety alerts for large-scale public events.
- Times to meet an OSHC adviser on campus
- Pregnancy fact sheet (400kb, pdf)
- Essentials - Policy document and members guide (1.79mb, pdf)
- Overseas Student Health Cover Policy
Extras cover for ancillary services (optional)
The standard OSHC policy doesn’t cover you for ancillary type medical services. To upgrade your cover, you can buy OSHC Extras cover for some common health services like dental, optical, physiotherapy, chiropractic and osteopathic.
For detailed information about OSHC Extras or to join:
- visit the product information page
- or call 1800 808 700.
Once you've purchased your Allianz OSHC policy
- Go to the Allianz students page
- Click the Create account button
- Enter the three fields below:
- Policy Number (this is on your Confirmation of Enrolment)
- Last name
- Date of birth
- Click Continue
- Enter your personal email address
- Create your password - you’ll receive a confirmation email once you have successfully registered
- Follow the instructions in the confirmation email to verify your account
- Once verified, you can login to your OSHC account to:
- print a certificate of insurance (COI) for student visa purposes
- update your details such as your address and phone
- Download the My OSHC Assistant app from your app store
- Review the terms and conditions and tap accept
- At the bottom of the screen tap Create your account
- Enter your policy number, surname and date of birth for your OSHC account
- Create a unique five digit pin code for your device
- Access your OSHC member services
- Access an e-membership card (or contact Allianz to order a plastic version)
- Download the Sonder safety app from your app store
- Tap the log in button
- Tap reset password and enter your Monash email address
- You will receive a password reset email
- Open the email on your phone and select the link to complete the process