Living with a parent, custodian or relative

If you're an international student under 18, and plan to live with your parent, custodian or eligible relative while studying in Australia, you will need to verify this before applying for a visa.

If staying with a relative, they need to be nominated by your parents or custodian. They must be over 21 years old and of good character.

The Australian Government defines an eligible relative as a spouse, de facto partner, child, brother, sister, step-child, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-grandchild, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece, or step-nephew of the applicant.

Apply for approval

When you receive your Monash offer, complete and return the following form:

Once your arrangements are approved, Monash will send your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). You can then apply for your visa.

To support your visa application, your parent or custodian needs to submit the appropriate forms to the Department of Home Affairs confirming your living arrangements. Information about additional document requirements can be found on the government website.

Monash College students

If you're starting at Monash College, please follow the instructions for Monash College and packaged offers: Information for students under 18.

Got a question? Monash Connect can help