Your student visa
Applying for a student visa
If you're an international student looking to study at Monash University, you'll need to apply for a student visa (Subclass 500). For details, see our visa requirements page.
Semester one 2020 online study
We understand you might be concerned about your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) during this period.
There's no need to worry, Monash won’t make any changes to your CoE if you:
- study online in your home country and intend to return to Australia, or
- are currently in Australia, but want to return home and study online for a period of time before returning to Australia to complete your degree, or
- are currently in Australia, and your course has been moved to online study.
If you go home, and don’t intend to return, your CoE will be cancelled.
Extending your student visa
If your current visa expires before you finish your course, you may need to extend your stay. This could be because you:
- failed one or more units
- reduced your study load
- took intermission (study leave)
- transferred to another course
- submitted your thesis later than expected
- plan to remain in Australia while under examination after submitting your thesis.
How to apply for a student visa extension
- Apply for a new Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
When: About eight weeks before your visa expires. If approved, you’ll receive it by email about 5-10 working days.
Exceptions: If you hold an Australia Awards Scholarship, you don’t need a CoE, only an approval letter from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). To find out more, email email@example.com.
- Renew your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) to cover the duration of your new visa
How: If you're with Allianz, renew and pay your OSHC online. To work out the cost, use the OSHC calculator. If you're with another provider, you’ll need to contact them directly. Your receipt of payment is proof of renewal.
- Notify Monash University
When: After renewing your health cover.
How: Email your Certificate of Insurance (CoI) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apply for your visa (subclass 500)
When: At least two weeks before your current visa expires.
- Check your email for an acknowledgement letter from the Department of Home Affairs as well information on the granting of a bridging visa (for applicants in Australia only).
When: Check regularly after submitting your application.
- Check whether health assessments are required.
When: While waiting for the outcome of your application.
Continue to check your ImmiAccount regularly for your application outcome. Processing times for visa applications may vary.
If you’re under 18
If you’re under 18 years old, contact our International Student Engagement (ISE) team at email@example.com or call +61 3 9905 6267.
Research degree students
If you’re unable to submit your thesis by the end or your course, you’ll need to apply for a candidature extension as well as a new CoE.
If you’ve submitted your thesis for marking but you’re required to stay in Australia for your thesis correction, you don’t need a new CoE to apply for a new visa, but you do need to provide a letter from your supervisor.