Transfer to another college or university

International students on a student visa

If you need to transfer to another university or college within the first six months of your main course of study, you’ll need to apply for release from the University. You won’t be able to accept an offer at another institution unless your release has been approved.

You don't need permission for release if you’re transferring after six months at Monash.

Eligibility for a release letter

For your application to be considered, the other university or college must be registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). You can check this using the CRICOS course and institution search.

We’ll approve your application for release if:

  • your course is academically unsuitable for you. This means that you’re unable to achieve satisfactory course progress at the level you’re studying, or the course doesn't meet your educational/developmental needs or study capabilities, or you’re better suited to a different learning environment
  • you can prove that you need to transfer to another institution because of compassionate or compelling circumstances
  • the course outlined in the written agreement hasn’t been delivered
  • your reasonable expectations about the course are not being met, or
  • you have been misled by the University, or by an education or migration agent, regarding the University or the course, and the course is therefore unsuitable.

Compassionate or compelling circumstances

Compassionate or compelling circumstances are personal circumstances that:

  • are involuntary and outside your control, such as medical, family, wellbeing, or enrolment circumstances, and
  • present you with limited or no choice but to transfer to another institution.

Some examples include:

  • a family member is studying interstate and you want to live with them
  • you want to change your course to access a cultural support network or services provided by the new university or college.

How to apply

In the first six months of your course

If you’re in your first six months of study at Monash, you need to apply for release.

Application for Release form

Haven’t started your course yet

If you haven’t started your course yet, send an application for release (pdf, 0.79 mb) and supporting documents to

Supporting documents

You need to provide:

  • a copy of the offer letter from the new university or college
  • additional documents if you're under the age of 18. This includes written evidence that:
    • your parent/legal guardian/sponsor supports the transfer
    • the education provider you intend to transfer to accepts responsibility for approving your accommodation and welfare arrangements.
  • written support for the transfer from your government sponsor (if relevant).

Notification and outcome

We’ll let you know the outcome of your application within 10 working days.

Unsuccessful application

If your application isn’t successful, we’ll tell you why and what you need to do next.

Your release won’t be approved if:

  • you haven't provided satisfactory evidence of compassionate or compelling circumstances
  • the course you want to transfer into is academically unsuitable for you
  • you have unpaid course fees for the current study period
  • the transfer won’t satisfy your best interests:
    • the transfer would put your progression through a package of courses at risk
    • you require access to support services that wouldn’t be available to you if transfer.

Policy and procedure

Got a question? Monash Connect can help