Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)

Students in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) pay a lower course fee called the Student Contribution Amount (SCA). Commonwealth Supported Places are available to:

  • Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders
  • Australian permanent residents
  • New Zealand citizens.

You'll also need to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF).

Course fees

To estimate your course fees, see:


Of those eligible for a CSP, only Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders and some New Zealand citizens are eligible for HECS-HELP. This is a government scheme allowing you to defer some or all of your SCA.

Your payment options and level of support depend on where you live while studying. To see what you are eligible for, see Commonwealth assistance residency requirements.

Australian permanent residents and most New Zealand citizens

Permanent visa holders (non-humanitarian) and most New Zealand citizens can't get HECS-HELP loans. When you accept your Commonwealth Supported Place, you must agree to pay your SCA upfront and in full by census date. You must also:

  • provide us with a copy of your passport and visa if you are a permanent resident
  • live in Australia during your studies (or else pay full fees).

Accepting your CSP offer

When you first enrol using the Web Enrolment System (WES), you need to accept your place by completing the Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP section. Read the online form carefully as it explains your payment options.

If you change course, you must apply for a CSP for the new course and complete another Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP.

Student Contribution Amount (SCA)

We send you a fee statement based on your unit enrolment. See fee payment dates. If you are paying your SCA directly to the University, you must pay it by the due date otherwise your account may be encumbered. To avoid paying fees for units you do not want to take, you must discontinue them by the census date.

New Zealand citizens

If you meet all of the eligibility criteria listed in HELP loans for New Zealand citizens and you successfully complete your HECS-HELP application before the census date, then you're eligible for the same payment options as an Australian citizen (details below).

See HELP loans for New Zealand citizens for application instructions.

Once your documents are assessed and you're found to be eligible for HECS-HELP, you'll be advised to complete your HELP form via the Web Enrolment System (WES).

Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders

When completing the online Request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP in WES, you must select whether you plan to either:

  • make a full up-front payment of your SCA, or
  • take out a HECS-HELP loan for all or part of your SCA.

If you don't have a Tax File Number (TFN), you can only select the upfront SCA payment option in WES. You can change this option in WES before the census date by providing your TFN or a certificate from the Australian Tax Office confirming that you have applied for one.

If you provide your Tax File Number (or certificate stating that you have applied for one) by the census date, the loan offer remains open to you even if you choose not to use it.

Enrolment cancelled for overdue upfront payments

If you don't provide your TFN you cannot get HECS-HELP and you must pay your SCA upfront. If you don't pay by the census date, your enrolment will be cancelled and you cannot apply for reinstatement until the following semester.

Why you should provide your Tax File Number (TFN) We strongly advise that you provide your TFN even if choosing to pay upfront. This protects you against having your enrolment cancelled if you fail to pay by the census date. Providing your TFN means that if you fail to pay, your SCA will be automatically deferred to a loan.

If you don't have a Tax File Number, we recommend you:

  • apply for a TFN through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) before your first census date
  • provide Monash Connect with your ATO application summary
  • update WES once you receive your TFN (section 8A - request for Commonwealth support and HECS-HELP)
  • select your payment option in WES (section 11). For step-by-step instructions, see register your details: CSP students.

HECS-HELP for Australian citizens and permanent humanitarian visa holders

SCA payment option Accrue loan debt 10% discount (payments of $500 or more) Must provide Tax File Number by census date
Full upfront SCA payment
(Pay 100% of full SCA)
No No, as of 1 Jan 2017 No but if no payment is made by the census date, your enrolment will be cancelled
Partial upfront payment with part HECS-HELP loan
(Pay less than 100% of SCA)
Yes No, as of 1 Jan 2017 Yes
Full HECS-HELP loan with no upfront payment
(Pay 0% of SCA)
Yes No Yes

Loan repayments

You repay your HECS-HELP loan through the tax system once your income reaches a certain level. Your debt remains, even if you do not complete your course. In special situations, you can apply to have the debt removed. See remission of debt.

Tracking SCA payments or debt

Related links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help