Income support for masters courses (domestic students)

If you're enrolled in an approved masters by coursework program, you may be eligible to receive income support, such as Youth Allowance, Austudy, or a Pensioner Education Supplement.


To be an approved program, the masters by coursework program must be a domestic student. This support is not available to international students.

You also need to have at least one of the following:

  • the minimum requirement for entry to a profession and registration with a professional body
  • the fastest pathway to professional entry offered by Monash
  • the only pathway to professional entry offered by Monash.

For full details, see the Department of Social Services website.

Courses that are not eligible

Programs that do not meet the eligibility criteria are courses that:

  • are not required for professional entry (research or coursework masters degrees)
  • are not the shortest pathway to professional entry.
  • extend or deepen existing professionals' knowledge of their field
  • provide professional knowledge but do not lead to registration with a professional body.

Approved courses

The following Monash coursework masters courses are currently eligible for student income support:

  • Doctor of Medicine
  • Juris Doctor
  • Master of Actuarial Studies
  • Master of Architecture
  • Master of Business Information Systems
  • Master of Clinical Embryology
  • Master of Counselling
  • Master of Dietetics
  • Master of Educational and Developmental Psychology
  • Master of Environment and Sustainability
  • Master of Information Technology
  • Master of International Development Practice
  • Master of International Relations
  • Master of Interpreting and Translation Studies
  • Master of Laws (Juris Doctor)
  • Master of Medical Radiations
  • Master of Nursing Practice
  • Master of Occupational Therapy Practice
  • Master of Professional Accounting
  • Master of Professional Psychology
  • Master of Psychology (Counselling)
  • Master of Public Health
  • Master of Radiation Therapy
  • Master of Social Work
  • Master of Social Work (Qualifying)
  • Master of Teaching in Early Years Education
  • Master of Teaching in Early Years and Primary Education
  • Master of Teaching in Primary Education
  • Master of Teaching in Primary and Secondary Education
  • Master of Teaching in Secondary Education
  • Master of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
  • Master of Urban Planning and Design

Contact for enquiries

Freya Troedel
Manager, Academic Programs

Telephone: 9905 9286

Got a question? Monash Connect can help