Unique Student Identifier (USI)
New domestic students
From 1 January 2021, commencing domestic students will need a Unique Student Identifier (USI) to be eligible for a:
- Commonwealth supported place (CSP)
- Commonwealth financial assistance (HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or OS-HELP).
When you enrol, the Web Enrolment System (WES) will ask you to provide your USI. So, apply for one or retrieve your existing one as soon as possible.
How to get a USI
You can apply for a USI any time at the Australian Government USI website. It takes about five minutes and you’ll need at least one form of identification.
If you need help, use the step-by-step instructions.
- You’ll only need one USI and it’s yours for life.
- Enter your name(s) exactly as they appear on the form of ID you are using to create both your USI and your tax file number (TFN).
- You’ll need to create a password – it must be at least nine characters long, contain both a lowercase and uppercase letter and a number or special character.
Already have a USI?
If you already have a USI, you won’t need a new one. If you’ve forgotten it, go to find your USI.