How to enrol in summer, winter and October units

Course and unit rules

When considering taking a summer or winter unit, it's your responsibility to check the University Handbook to ensure the unit counts toward your current degree. Also make sure you have met any pre or co-requisite requirements.

If you're waiting on results for a prerequisite unit, you may enrol in the higher-level unit. If you fail the prerequisite unit, you should check your enrolment details, as enrolment for this unit will be invalid. See failed and invalid units.

To study units from another faculty, you need approval from the teaching faculty first, except when the unit is:

  • core to your degree, or
  • taught by the Information Technology or Business and Economics faculties.

How to enrol

Check the current Handbook to see the summer and winter units on offer and choose units that will count toward your course. If you're unsure which units will count, check the Handbook from the year you started your course as it outlines your course requirements.

You can then enrol in some units using the Web Enrolment System (WES).

If you can't enrol in the unit in WES:

  1. contact the faculty teaching the unit to get their approval for you to study it
  2. submit the enrolment amendment form, unless you’re studying a Law or Monash Business school unit. If you are, see the summer unit enrolment section below.

Once your form is processed, your enrolment in the unit will appear in WES.

Summer unit enrolment

Law undergraduate units

Check the unit listing for Law summer units and follow the link to enrol.

Law graduate units

Submit your summer unit enrolment request

Make sure you use your Monash email account and include your student ID and unit details (code, name and teaching period).

Monash Business School units

Some summer and winter units will have a separate online application process. Please complete this process providing any required documentation.

If you can't enrol in WES, submit an enrolment amendment form. If you're not a Business School student please provide approval from your home faculty.

Faculty approval

Get approval for unit enrolment before the enrolment cut-off date. See the relevant faculty in faculty and unit information.


You can withdraw from some summer and winter units in WES. If WES won't allow you to withdraw, you must submit an Enrolment Amendment form. Withdrawal dates (and financial and academic penalties) may vary depending on the semester offering period and the unit teaching start and end dates. See faculty and unit information.

Faculty responsibilities

Each faculty:

  • nominates the units (if any) offered during the summer and winter semester and the fee type
  • allows enrolment through WES, or accepts and processes your enrolment amendment form if your enrolment is approved
  • lets you know teaching times, locations and teaching materials
  • publishes unit withdrawal dates. See faculty and unit information
  • notifies you if a unit is cancelled due to low enrolment numbers.

Related links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help