You may be able to get a refund if you:

  • overpay your course fees
  • have a credit from an approved discount on course fees
  • change your enrolment (e.g. withdraw from units, discontinue your course) before 11.59pm on the census date
  • are an international research student withdrawing from your research program within four weeks of starting
  • finish your thesis earlier than expected
  • have finished studying and there’s unclaimed credit on your account.

You are not eligible for a refund:

  • for application, service or administrative fees
  • before deducting other money you may owe (e.g. library, student loans, Halls of Residence)
  • if your enrolment is invalidated for non-payment of fees.

Payments made for other study costs are normally non-refundable, but some faculties may consider refunds in exceptional circumstances. Contact your faculty for further advice.

Apply online (Australian campuses)

Apply for a refund

Notification of outcome

The processing time for refunds depends on the refund method. The following are approximate times:

  • credit cards and EFT (electronic funds transfer): two to three weeks
  • TT (telegraphic transfer): four to five weeks.

You'll receive an email notification once your refund has been completed.

Providing incomplete documentation will delay the processing of your refund.

After the census date (special circumstances)

In special cases (e.g. sickness, trauma) which have occurred after the census date, you may be eligible for a remission (reversal) of your loan debt or fee credit. For eligibility and how to apply, see remission of debt or fee credit in special circumstances.

Unclaimed money

The University will hold any unclaimed student funds for 12 months after you’ve finished studying. After that, we’re required to transfer it to the Victorian Government, so you should apply for a refund of the money as soon as you can.

You can check if you have credit in the Web Enrolment System (WES), or submit an online enquiry if you don’t have WES access.

We may deduct reasonable expenses from the credit amount if you’re no longer enrolled at the University – this is for holding the unclaimed monies and locating the owners (if applicable).

Students in the US Financial Aid Program

Special conditions and arrangements apply. Contact the US Financial Aid Administrator at Student Finance by emailing

Relevant links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help