Award certificate (testamur)

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 government restrictions, you’ll graduate without attending an in-person ceremony – this is called graduating in absentia. Your award will still be conferred in a graduation round and you’ll get access to official digital copies of your graduation documents. You'll also be able to request a hard copy of your award certificate (testamur).

Hard copy

After your award has been conferred, you'll need to arrange to receive your certificate. We can't send certificates to post boxes.

Update your address details in the Web Enrolment System (WES) if necessary:

If you don't receive your certificate and fail to notify us within 12 months, you'll be charged for a replacement.

Digital copy

After your award has been conferred, you'll receive an email within two working-days about how to access digital versions of your official graduation documents.

Your digital documents are certified only when viewed online through the My eQuals portal. You'll be able to provide potential employers and other people with a link so they can view and verify your qualifications online.

For how to access your documents online, see graduation documents.

Certificate details

Details shown on your award certificate (testamur):

  • your name
  • your award title
  • conferral date (the date of your graduation round)
  • up to two majors/extended majors for some courses started after 2016
  • the University seal.

Your award title may differ from your course title depending on your majors and specialisations. Here are some examples:

  • Course title: Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
    Award title: Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Honours)
  • Course title: Master of Teaching
    Award title: Master of Teaching in Early Years and Primary Education

About six weeks before your graduation round, we'll ask you to check that your name and award title are correct.

Replacement certificate

You can request a replacement certificate if the original is:

  • lost
  • damaged
  • stolen
  • incorrect due to a name change.

You need to submit an application for a replacement testamur (pdf, 0.23 mb)

It will take about three weeks to process your request and dispatch your document. You'll be emailed a tracking number when your replacement testamur is on its way.

Change of name

To change the name on your certificate:

  1. follow the steps to change your personal information
  2. include appropriate documentation. For example, a marriage certificate.

Common uses

Graduates often frame and display their certificates in their place of business (e.g. doctor's office). This provides clients with printed evidence of your qualification to work in that field.

See also common uses for your academic record (transcript) and graduation statement (AHEGS).

Got a question? Monash Connect can help