Visa requirements

Applying for a student visa

The Department of Home Affairs is responsible for issuing visas for entry to Australia. Students who are planning to study a CRICOS registered course are required to obtain a student visa.

See Applying for a student visa for information about the application process.

Simplified Student Visa Framework

You will be need to apply for your student visa online.  You can only start the online application after you receive the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). We will only issue an CoE after you have accepted your course offer.

The online student visa application will assess you against a range of criteria and determine the level of English and financial capacity required. You are still expected to meet other requirements such as Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE), good character and health criteria.

For more information, visit the document check list tool on the Department of Home Affairs website.

For more information regarding the student visa changes please visit the Subclass 500 Student Visa on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Your visa conditions

When you are issued with a student visa, your visa conditions will be attached to the grant of the visa. See Visa conditions for Student Visa holders.

Working in Australia

If you are a student visa holder, you and your dependent family members have permission to work included with your visa. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.  You and your family members must not breach the student visa work conditions. More information is available from Department of Home Affairs (HA).