Failed and invalid units

Grading and results update

To support you in achieving the best possible academic outcome during the disruption caused by COVID-19, we’ve made some temporary changes to grading and results. Changes include the removal of fail grades, the option to withdraw units after results release and to exclude units from your GPA and WAM calculations. For all options available to you and the eligible teaching periods, see the grading and results update.

After results release, the Web Enrolment System (WES) checks your unit enrolment. This takes up to three days.

Failed units and prerequisite units (N) or (NGO)

If you failed a unit or a prerequisite unit, you should contact your faculty to get some course advice. Your faculty course adviser can help you explore your options.

You may also be able to request feedback on your exam performance or view your exam responses.

Sometimes, failing a unit can cause a unit for next semester to become invalid. If so, your faculty will send you an email telling you what you need to do to fix it.

To help you in the future, check out our skills page – you’ll find a range of useful study skills and exam preparation tips.

Withheld results (WH) and missing unit results

If your unit result has a WH (Withheld) grade (or is missing), it means your unit result hasn’t been finalised yet.

There are various reasons your grade may be Withheld or missing:

  • You haven’t finished all your assessments.
  • You’ve been given an extension to finish a piece of work.
  • Your assessment is still being marked and your final unit result will be updated shortly.

To find out more about your results, see results – reading your marks.

If you’re unsure of the reason for your grade, contact the unit coordinator.

Invalid units

WES will discontinue units and mark them as invalid if they don’t meet certain rules. If you have invalid units, we’ll notify you by email at your Monash account. Units become invalid if:

  • you failed a unit that has prerequisites or corequisites
  • you’ve enrolled in units that are incompatible (i.e. can’t be studied together).

Check WES after results release

It’s important to check and update your enrolment in WES to ensure you:

  • remove all invalid units
  • enrol in other units.

Getting help

If you’ve failed a unit, see how you can improve your results and address academic progress concerns.

Counselling is available to current students on all campuses.

Failing a unit due to extreme circumstances

Applying for Withdrawn Incomplete (WI)

If, due to extreme circumstances beyond your control, you receive a fail grade of N, NH or WN for not completing a unit assessment, you can apply to have the grade altered to WI (Withdrawn Incomplete). Unlike other fail grades, a WI grade won’t be included in your Grade Point Average (GPA) or Weighted Average Mark (WAM).

How to apply

You need to apply in writing to your faculty within 10 University working days of the day your result is published.

Your application must provide evidence that your circumstances were extreme and:

  • arose during the withdrawn fail period of the relevant teaching period (or later), or
  • didn’t have their full impact until the start of the withdrawn fail period of the relevant teaching period (or later), and this impact was not foreseeable earlier, or
  • prevented you from withdrawing from the unit before the withdrawn fail period of the relevant teaching period.

Acceptable reasons include:

  • serious illness requiring hospitalisation
  • a severe mental health condition
  • death of a person with whom you had a significant relationship
  • obligations to emergency or military service
  • other extreme circumstances beyond your control, including a natural disaster or serious accident.

The evidence must show the timing and severity of your situation. Acceptable evidence includes:

  • a record of hospital admission
  • police reports
  • notification of obligations to emergency or military service.

Your faculty will assess your application and notify you of the result. If your application is successful, you’ll need to re-enrol in the unit in order to pass it.

Policy and procedures

Got a question? Monash Connect can help