Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN)

A Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN) is for Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP), FEE-HELP and SA-HELP students to check:

  • enrolment details (course, units, etc)
  • fees and payment details (charges, payments, loan amounts, etc)

We email your Monash account to tell you when your notice is in the Web Enrolment System (WES). Contact Monash Connect if you don't get your notice within 28 days after the:

Print a copy of each notice for your own records, within six weeks as WES doesn't store them permanently.

The government keeps records of how much Commonwealth assistance you have received. You can access your record using your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN), printed on your Commonwealth Assistance Notice.

To find out how much you owe for your HELP debt, you can request a HELP account information statement from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). See repaying student loans on the ATO website.


It's your responsibility to keep track of your loan and entitlements. If your notice is wrong, you need to dispute errors:

  • in writing
  • using the link provided on the notice
  • within 14 days of the date of issue.

We will not review a late dispute unless you prove special circumstances. It takes 5-10 working days to resolve a dispute and we email the outcome to your Monash account.

Failure to dispute

If you do not dispute an incorrect notice, an incorrect loan debt could be reported to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

Related links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help