Study load (overload and underload)

To complete a course, you need to pass enough units to meet a set number of credit points. We measure your enrolment load in credit points per academic year.

The standard undergraduate study load per year is 48 credit points (24 credit points per semester).

Full-time and part-time

An Equivalent Full-Time Student Load (EFTSL) is 48 credit points. Most units run for a semester and have a value of six credit points (0.125 EFTSL).

For an academic year:

  • a full-time study load is between 36 and 48 credit points
  • a part-time study load is less than 36 credit points (less than 0.75 EFTSL).

Time limits to complete a course

You must complete your course within a set time limit. Your course duration is in your course entry in the Handbook. Look for the Course duration notes in the blue section on the right.

Varying your course duration

You can take approved intermission or reduce your intended study load as long as you still complete your course within the maximum time limit. If you’re not sure, request a course progression check using our course advice form.

Domestic students (and international students not on a student visa) can apply to their managing faculty to take parental or primary carer's leave. If approved, this leave won't count towards the maximum time limit to complete a coursework course.

Changing your study load

Domestic students

If you’re a domestic student, you can usually choose to study part-time. Just keep in mind, if you change your intended study load below 18 credit points per semester, you may not be eligible for government payments such as Youth Allowance, Austudy or public transport concessions.

When to underload

To avoid academic and financial penalties, make sure you underload (by withdrawing from units) before 11.59pm on the census date for the relevant teaching period.

How to underload

You can reduce the number of enrolled units by changing your study load from full-time to part-time in the Web Enrolment System (WES). WES won't automatically withdraw you from units, so you'll still need to select the units you want to withdraw.

WES may force you to enrol for the entire year, and in more credit points than you plan to study. If this happens, and you think this requirement doesn't apply to you, submit an Enrolment Amendment Form.

International students

If you're on a student visa, you must complete your course in the time stated on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). To do this, you need to enrol in a full-time study load (24 credit points per semester).

The Web Enrolment System (WES) won’t allow you to submit your enrolment unless you enrol in enough units to meet your approved study load requirement, so you’ll need to apply for approval from your faculty before you can reduce your study load.

If your application is approved, you may need a new CoE with an updated course completion date. See extending your visa for more information.

Reasons for underloading

You can apply for approval to underload for one of the following reasons:

  • compassionate or compelling circumstances
  • implementation of an intervention strategy due to a risk of unsatisfactory academic progress
  • circumstances relating to COVID-19.
Compassionate or compelling circumstances

Compassionate or compelling circumstances are personal circumstances that:

  • are involuntary and outside your control (such as medical, family, wellbeing, or enrolment circumstances), and
  • present you with limited or no choice but to underload your study.

Examples include:

  • illness or exceptional personal circumstances
  • course structure, progression rules or unit availability that prevents a standard enrolment load.

When you don't need approval

You won’t need to apply for approval to underload if you:

  • are in your final year and will complete your course within the time stated on your CoE
  • are enrolled in a combination of standard semester and summer or winter units that total 24 credit points per semester
  • are required to reduce your study load by your faculty’s Academic Progress Committee.

How to apply

To apply for approval, submit an application.

Underload Request form

When to apply

Submit your application by 11.59pm on the census date for that teaching period.

Supporting documents

If you’re applying for approval to underload under COVID-19 related circumstances, you need to include a personal statement in your application explaining the impact of COVID-19 on your circumstances.

If you’re applying for approval to underload under compassionate or compelling circumstances, you need to provide us with one or more of the following:

  • a medical certificate from a medical practitioner
  • a letter from a University counsellor or registered psychologist
  • an official statement or document from your home country outlining the circumstances (e.g. a letter from a government official or medical practitioner).

If you’re applying for approval to underload as a result of an intervention strategy, you need to provide us with one or more of the following:

  • a statement from an academic or course advisor confirming your eligibility for an intervention strategy
  • a personal statement explaining your circumstances and the steps you’ve taken to improve your academic performance.

Overloading is to enrol in more than the standard number of units in each year. It's usually limited to students who have:

  • completed 48 credit points within a 12-month period
  • achieved a credit average or higher in the previous year.

Exceptions may apply to high-achieving students in approved programs.

Some courses may not allow acceleration - this may be due to professional accreditation and/or clinical requirements.

How to apply

Submit a request to overload. We’ll email you with the outcome of your application within five working days.

Overload Request form

When to apply

You’ll need to submit your application at least one week before the first day of the relevant teaching period.

Part-time to full-time

If you’re enrolled part-time, and your course has a full-time study option, you can change to full-time study in WES.

For deadlines to change your enrolment load, see add or withdraw from units.

Related links

Got a question? Monash Connect can help