If you’re in financial hardship and need support, you may be eligible to apply for one of our student grants. Unlike a loan, this type of financial assistance does not have to be paid back.
Victorian Government International Student Emergency Relief Fund
The Victorian Government has announced a $45 million International Student Emergency Relief Fund for international students facing financial hardship.
Monash welcomes this funding support from the government to supplement funds for the Monash Compassionate and Hardship Package.
- Students need to apply only once for the Compassionate and Hardship Package to be assessed for all available grant funding (including the International Student Emergency Relief Fund).
- The International Student Emergency Relief Fund is not a separate grant.
- Applications submitted before the announcement of the relief package have already been assessed, students do not need to reapply.
- The existing grant cap for each Monash student remains at $7500.
For more information on the International Student Emergency Relief Fund, see Study Melbourne’s FAQs.
Student Compassionate and Hardship Package
Monash University is offering a Student Compassionate and Hardship Package to help vulnerable students continue their studies.
This package is for current students affected by the COVID-19 situation.
The package will offer three grants:
- an emergency payment of up to $500 to support students in Australia who are in immediate need, with the essentials to continue study.
- a payment of up to $7000 for students in Australia who are experiencing financial hardship.
- a payment of up to $5000 for students, who have incurred reasonable costs due to the original inbound travel bans in China, Iran and Australia. Applications closed 25 May 2020
Student Compassionate and Hardship Package has the full eligibility criteria and how to apply.
Emergency Grants Scheme
The Students Emergency Grants Scheme is for students experiencing financial hardship, which is affecting their ability to continue studying.
This grant is up to $500 and can help pay for essential living expenses, technology for study, course materials, or other expenses.
Emergency Grants Scheme has the full eligibility criteria and how to apply.