Document verification and legalisation
We’re currently unable to verify documents, but you can get them certified by a Justice of the Peace or another authorised person.
See find a justice of the peace or call 1300 365 567.
If you’re travelling overseas for work or study, a foreign government may ask for your legalised education documents. This means the Australian Government will need to certify that your Monash documents are genuine.
You’ll need to contact the foreign country’s embassy to check what their requirements are. If they need legalised documents, make sure you check whether you need an Authentication Certificate or an Apostille Certificate.
How to get a document legalised
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) can legalise your document for you – just download and complete the DFAT document legalisation request form (pdf 1633 kb).
You’ll need to attach the original copy of your graduation certificate or, if you haven’t graduated yet, a hard copy of your academic record (you can order and pay for your academic record in WES).
If you need an Apostille Certificate, you’ll also need to attach one of the following documents to your request form:
- a hard copy of a Monash Graduate search
- a hard copy of your digital credentials from My eQuals (download in a secure PDF format)
- if you graduated before May 2017, submit the Confirm a students qualification or enrolment form and attach the verification of your results (sent to your Monash email).
Lodge the form with DFAT (lodgement details are included in the form) along with your attachments.
Find out more
For more information, see legalising documents.
Please be aware Monash Connect won’t be:
- able to advise you on this process or forward or lodge any documents with DFAT for you
- liable if the foreign government doesn't accept the documents as genuine.
Got a question? Monash Connect can help
We’re experiencing a large number of enquiries right now, so it will take longer than usual to get back to you.
If you’ve sent an enquiry, please wait for a reply before contacting us again. Most answers can be found on our website, in FAQs or Chat 365.