How to make a complaint

We hope all our students have positive relationships with our staff and enjoy their experience at Monash University. If you're experiencing any issues while you study with us, we want to help resolve it.

Step 1: Making a complaint

Complaints can often be sorted out quickly if you raise them directly with the staff member concerned. Usually your first action should be trying to resolve the issue informally.

If that’s not possible you can put the complaint in writing to the manager of the relevant department, school or faculty. If you need guidance through this process, contact Monash Connect by making an enquiry through

Make sure you raise the complaint as soon as possible after the incident.

Step 2: Lodging a grievance (formal complaint)

If you have raised a complaint as outlined above, and believe it hasn’t been resolved, you can submit a written grievance using the Grievance Lodgement form (pdf, 0.09 mb).

You may want to get some support and advice from your student association in preparing a written grievance. Student advocacy and support is available from your student association. This advice is confidential and independent of the University.

Submitting your grievance form

Depending on the nature of your grievance, submit your form to the relevant grievance officer from the options below.

What happens next?

The grievance officer will acknowledge receipt of your written grievance and provide you with information about the support services available to you.

Your grievance will be directed to the appropriate person and the grievance officer will let you know what's happening and (if necessary) ask you for more information or to attend a meeting.

Once you've lodged a formal grievance, it's important that you:

  1. keep a record of discussions, actions and dates
  2. make yourself available for meetings as required
  3. respect the confidentiality of those involved in the investigation
  4. check the relevant policies and procedures.

Step 3: Appealing to the University Student Ombudsman

If you still feel the outcome of your grievance is unresolved, you can appeal to the University Student Ombudsman. You need to do this within 20 working days of the decision.

The Ombudsman will not get involved until you've taken all reasonable steps to resolve the complaint by following the process outlined above.

Step 4: Appealing to the Victorian Ombudsman

If you're still unhappy about the situation, you can appeal the University Student Ombudsman's decision to the Victorian Ombudsman