Jeff Northfield Memorial Award for Excellence in Teacher Research
We established the annual Jeff Northfield Memorial Award for Excellence in Teacher Research in 2005 in recognition of the importance of Jeff Northfield’s work in supporting and conducting teacher research. The recipient receives a cheque for AUD$1,000 and a certificate in recognition of the award.
We award the Jeff Northfield Memorial Award for Excellence in Teacher Research to one recipient each year, who demonstrates an ongoing and current commitment to teacher research.
The award is open to a person who demonstrates an ongoing and current commitment to teacher research at either a Victorian school, or at an institution of higher education, or as a higher degree research student.
Recipients will have demonstrated a continuing commitment to the
- generation of teacher knowledge
- exploration of the value of this knowledge with other teachers.
We will ask the recipient to:
- present an account of their work to an appropriate conference
- write about their work for an appropriate professional - and, if possible, academic - journal.
What is ‘teacher research’?
Teacher research, as defined for this award, does not include all research done by a researcher who happens to be a teacher. The award celebrates Monash’s long tradition in the kind of research that Jeff was so prescient in championing:
- research by teachers into teaching
- learning and change in “classrooms” (defined more broadly than school classrooms) that results in the kinds of knowledge that has the potential to directly inform and enrich practice.
Applicants must demonstrate their ongoing and current commitment to teacher research through the following criteria:
- A continuing commitment to the generation of teacher knowledge and to the exploration of the value of this knowledge with other teachers.
- A commitment to the promotion of their ideas and research with teachers and other relevant groups.
- Clear evidence of the impact of their work in their professional context. In many cases this will mean within their school. However, it could of course mean an impact wider than this.
- A continuing commitment to working with teachers and schools (or if relevant another professional context), and through the provision of leadership in their profession.
Applications should address these 4 criteria, and must include the contact details of the applicant.
The recipient will be presented with their award at the Faculty of Education Scholarships and Awards Evening.
Please send your application as an email attachment to email@example.com.
Closing date: 29 March 2019.
Who to contact
Please forward your applications and/or enquiries for this award to firstname.lastname@example.org.