Security clearances

Mandatory checks and security clearances for teacher placements

All pre-service teachers must satisfy security clearances that apply to the state or territory where you are undertaking your professional experience before you commence. These security clearances help keep children safe and ensure good recruitment for people volunteering to work with children.

The Professional Experience Office must have a record of your valid Working with Children Check (WWCC) details on InPlace before your placement commences, otherwise you will not be able to attend.

Acquiring your clearance

For placements in Victoria

All students undertaking their placements in the state of Victoria must either have a valid Working with Children Check, or a current VIT registration in order to commence their placement.

  • Working With Children Check (WWCC)
    Apply for a Working with Children Check and once you receive the card number, enter this number to your InPlace account. This number is issued by the Department of Justice via text or email, usually within 2 weeks of submitting application.
  • VIT Registration
    If you hold current VIT Registration you do not need to apply for the Working With Children Check. Please enter the VIT Registration Card number on InPlace.
  • Police Check
    Some childcare centres require students to have a current Police Check. Please check with your centre as soon as you receive your allocation details.

For placements interstate

Students undertaking their placements outside of Victoria must comply with the legislation requirements of that particular state - see Pre-employment screening: Working with Children Checks and Police Checks.

  • For a one-off interstate placement, you may be eligible to use your Victorian WWCC, depending on which state you will be travelling to. Please contact our office via for further information.
  • If you are completing a placement interstate, please upload a scanned copy of your WWCC Card/relevant state security clearance to your InPlace account.
  • Pre-service teachers who wish to undertake a professional experience placement in an ACT school must have a current Working with Vulnerable People Registration (or equivalent) and must also be registered on the ACT Teacher Quality Institute Pre-service Teacher Register.

For placements overseas

For countries other than Australia, please see that country's requirements and upload a copy of your security clearance to

If clearance is not required

If the state/country you reside in does not require a security clearance, please send an email via to notify us.


Updating your security clearance on InPlace

See instructions on how to update security clearance details on InPlace (pdf).