Student complaints

Student complaints and grievances

We want all our students to have positive relationships with our staff and to enjoy their experience at Monash Education. If you're experiencing any issues while you're studying with us, we want to help you to resolve these. Please be assured that any complaints and grievances raised will be treated sensitively, and you won't be disadvantaged by raising your concerns.

Making a complaint

Faculty of Education's process for making a student complaint is aligned with the Monash University's Student complaints and advocacy policies and procedures.

Stage 1: Raise your concerns with the staff member concerned

Complaints can often be resolved quickly if raised immediately and directly with the staff member concerned. As such, in the first instance you should try to resolve the issue with the staff member informally by contacting them as soon as possible after the incident has occurred.

You need to raise your complaint as soon as possible after the event. Delaying it may make it difficult to resolve.

If your complaint relates to an assessment piece, examination, or thesis, it should not be made in the period between the date of assessment or the date when a thesis is submitted and the date when the marking or thesis examination process has been completed.

If you have raised the issue with the staff member, but you believe your complaint hasn’t been resolved, please continue to Stage 2.

Stage 2: Raise your concerns with another faculty staff member

Academic concerns

Contact the staff members on this list in order, unless you have already contacted them at Stage 1:

  • Unit Coordinator
  • Chief Examiner
  • Courses Leader

Please use the Monash University Handbook to find the names of the relevant staff members.

Admissions and credit concerns

  • Manager, Student Services – for coursework students
  • Manager, Education Success & Student Services – for coursework students
  • Manager, Research and Graduate Research – for graduate research students

Enrolment concerns

  • Manager, Education Success Advisers
  • Manager, Education Success & Student Services

Professional development course concerns

  • Director, Development & External Relations

Placement concerns

  • For academic placement issues contact Manager, Professional Practice Consultants
  • For administrative placement issues contact Manager, Professional Experience

Stage 3: Formal investigation

Where a complaint has not been resolved through stage 1 or 2, you may lodge a stage 3 complaint.

Stage 3 is a formal, written request for resolution of the complaint. It involves formal investigation by nominated case officers and complaints officers who have not had previous involvement with the complaint.

Students lodging stage 3 complaints must use the prescribed form on the How to make a complaint webpage.

Student advocacy and support is available from your student association to assist and advise you to prepare a written grievance. The advice provided is confidential and independent of the University.

What if your complaint is not academic or administrative in nature?

Students should note that the university has formal grievance or appeal procedures in the areas of exclusion, discipline and sex-based harassment that are separate from the academic and administrative grievance process.

See Monash safety and security page for information on how matters of concern can be resolved.