How to apply for a research degree
Follow these steps to apply for admission into a graduate research degree in Education, and for relevant scholarships.
- Step 1: Review course and check your eligibility
- Step 2: Search for potential supervisors
- Step 3: Submit an Expression of Interest form online
- Step 4: Submit your application
Note: There is no separate process to apply for a Monash Graduate Research Scholarship, this is a part of the formal application process for PhD candidature.
Step 1: Review course and check your eligibility
You will find the admission requirements, course outline and progression requirements in the relevant course details and handbook below.
|Course details||Course code||Handbook||Commencement / application dates|
|Doctor of Philosophy||0079||Handbook for Doctoral Degrees||No fixed commencement dates, apply any time.|
|Master of Philosophy||D7001||Handbook for Master of Philosophy||No fixed commencement dates, apply any time.|
English Language Proficiency
If English is not your first language, you must meet the minimum requirements for English Language Proficiency.
Pathways to research
If you don't meet the eligibility requirements, you may like to consider other pathways to research available to you.
Step 2: Search for potential supervisors
1. Find an academic staff member in the Faculty of Education who specialises, supervises or publishes in your area.
2. Email your proposed supervisor
Include the following documents as part of your communication:
- Full academic transcripts from your previous qualifications
- Detailed CV
- 3-4 pages (approx. 3000-5000 words) thesis proposal, which includes:
- Research title
- Brief summary
- Literature review
- Argument for the gap in the research
- If your current research proposal is based on your previous master's degree, please include a comment explaining how it differs.
Once you have found a researcher that you believe could supervise your project, you can nominate them as a potential supervisor on your Expression of Interest form. We would encourage you to discuss your research with the proposed supervisor prior to nominating them.
Please note: Final allocation of supervisors is made based on the supervisors’ existing load, their current availability and the suitability of their expertise with your proposed research topic. Correspondence with prospective supervisors does NOT guarantee a position in the course.
Step 3: Submit an Expression of Interest form online
Once you have found a supervisor you wish to nominate, please lodge your Expression of Interest (EOI) form. The answers you provide in the EOI are used to make an initial assessment of your eligibility. You must complete this form in order to receive an Invitation to Apply for a research degree. Please do not submit a formal application prior to receiving an Invitation to Apply from the Faculty.
Expression of Interest for scholarship applications must be submitted to the Graduate Research Office by the dates listed in the table below.
|Round||Applicant type||EOIs close*||Scholarship applications close|
|1||International||15 March||31 March|
|2||Domestic||15 May||31 May|
|3||International||15 August||31 August|
|4||Domestic||15 October||31 October|
- EOIs can take up to 2 weeks to process. Any EOIs submitted after the closing dates will not be accepted for the relevant scholarship round.
- If you recently completed a Graduate Certificate of Educational Research (D4004) and wish to submit an EOI after the specified EOI deadline, please contact the Graduate Research Office.
Admission-only applications are accepted throughout the year.
By submitting an EOI, you may be issued with an 'invitation to apply' via email which entitles you to proceed to formally apply for admission to a graduate research degree and scholarships.
Step 4: Submit your application
Upon receiving the invitation to apply letter, you are welcome to initiate the formal application process.
Prior to starting your application, we strongly encourage you to review our Application Submission Guide, which details all required supporting documentation and provides further useful information on our Graduate Research Admission and Scholarship Application portal.
Submit your application through the Graduate Research Admission and Scholarship Application portal.
Who to contact?
If you still have questions, please contact us at the Graduate Research Office.