Teacher placement allocation process
Please do not organise your own placement, or contact any school/centre directly to request a placement.
Step 1 - Apply for required security clearance
Before we begin to allocate your teaching placement you must provide copies of all required security clearances to the Professional Experience Office - no later than end of week 3 of Semester 1. Otherwise we will be unable to allocate you to a placement.
Please note that security checks may take time - so start applying as soon as possible!
Step 2 - Complete student placement information
We use the information you provide to ensure that we match you to the appropriate placement settings and cater for any special requirements you may have. Here is what you need to do:
- complete the Placement Information fields in the My Details section of InPlace for the current year no later than end of week 2 of the semester (See Faculty of Education Inplace webpage for instructions)
- update your address and contact details in WES;
if you have special needs or extenuating circumstances that we should take into account when allocating your placement, submit the Notification of Extenuating Circumstances or Special Needs form - downloadable from the Forms page.
Examples of when you might complete the form:
- If you are registered with the Disability Liaison Unit (DLU) and you have particular needs that need to be accommodated.
- If you have extenuating circumstances that require you to have a placement that meets specific parameters.
- If you have religious or cultural requirements which need to be accounted for during your placement.
- If you need to complete multiple placements at the same school or agency (as generally this is not permitted.)
Note: If you want to undertake a placement in an alternative educational setting such as a Montessori or Steiner school or in correctional services education, please email the Professional Experience Office via ask.monash to let them know.
We aim to place you within the scheduled placement period; however, in small number of cases, this may not be possible.
Step 3 - Read conditions of placement
Conditions of placement are the essential conditions that you must know and adhere to with regard to placement allocations.
Step 4 - Details of your allocated placement
Once we have secured your placement we will email a notification to your Monash student email address at least one week before the scheduled placement period (or earlier, if at all possible). Your allocation details will be available to you via InPlace.
Please do not contact us about your placement earlier than one week prior to scheduled placement, as this may lead to delays in securing your placement.
The Professional Experience Guide and Manual will be available on your Moodle site. Please download these and make sure you are familiar with both documents prior to commencing your placement.