Professional recognition for graduates of Faculty of Education

Initial Teacher Education - General

To teach in a Victorian school, graduates must be registered with Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).

The VIT registration and evidence of completion page explains the registration process and timelines.

Students planning to register and work as school teachers or early childhood teachers in Australia or overseas should check registration requirements with local teacher regulatory bodies in case additional requirements apply.

Initial Teacher Education – Early Childhood/Years specialisations

Specialisations in early years/childhood education are accredited by the Australian Children's Education and Care Quality Authority (ACECQA). This means that these qualifications will be accepted for early childhood teacher registration in Victoria and most other Australian states and territories, which qualifies you to work as a teacher in licensed preschools and childcare centres in Victoria. If you plan to teach in a preschool or kindergarten setting then you’ll need to register with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Please note, this doesn't include the Bachelor of Education in Early Childhood in Singapore.

Initial Teacher Education - Primary education and Secondary education specialisations

All primary and secondary education specialisations are accredited by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) using the national accreditation standards. This means that these qualifications will be accepted for school teacher registration in Victoria and all other Australian states and territories.


  • Refer to D6003 Master of Counselling course entry for specific professional recognition details.


Refer to the relevant psychology course entries for specific psychology professional recognition details:

  • D5002 Graduate Diploma of Professional Psychology
  • D6007 Master of Educational and Developmental Psychology
  • D6008 Master of Professional Psychology
  • D6016 Master of Educational and Developmental Psychology Advanced
  • 3736 Master of Educational and Developmental Psychology and Doctor of Philosophy

We're making some changes...

Soon all online enquiries will be made through our virtual assistant. You can get in early and try our virtual assistant right now.

You may have a question our virtual assistant can answer immediately.

If you are following up on an enquiry you submitted earlier, you can also do this in our virtual assistant.