Student Ambassador Program
The Student Ambassador Program offers a host of opportunities to gain important leadership, teamwork, public speaking, event management and mentoring skills. Student Ambassadors will have the chance to represent and promote the Faculty of Education at a variety of future and current student events and will positively impact the Monash community as a whole.
Faculty of Education Student Ambassadors benefit because they:
- receive faculty sponsorship to attend professional development workshops and training programs
- develop transferable skills through training and hands-on application
- enjoy enhanced overall university experience and make new friends
- gain skills and experiences that improve their resume
- receive a certificate of appreciation from the Dean at an end-of-year function
Student Ambassador Position Description
The Student Ambassador Program is a voluntary extra-curricular program open to Faculty of Education students enrolled at Clayton and Peninsula campuses. Applicants must plan to be enrolled at Monash from July this year until June next year and must apply to be an Ambassador on their home campus. Up to ten Student Ambassadors will be selected each year on each campus.
Ambassadors are appointed for one year, and may reapply the following year. The Ambassador 'year' is from July to June (the same as a financial year).
To be recognised as an Ambassador students are expected to sign an Ambassador Contract which commits them to the following responsibilities and attendance requirements. Students failing to meet the requirements of the program may have their position terminated.
- Contribute significantly to running activities during Enrolment and O Week
- Be an online mentor for up to 15 first year students during Weeks 0 to 4
- Share your university experiences with future students at Open Day
- Contribute to two events each semester to help students transition in to university life and learning, and transition out into the work place
- Contribute regularly to the campus Facebook page - Clayton Facebook, Peninsula Facebook, Berwick Facebook
- Assist with marketing initiatives by positively representing and promoting the Faculty of Education
Attendance is required at:
- Ambassador Leadership Day – 26 June 2017
- Ambassador Development Day – 25 September 2017
- O Week – 17-21 July 2017 and late February 2018
- VCE enrichment week (Peninsula HPE students only) – TBA
- Monthly Student Ambassador meetings
Attendance is expected at some of the following:
- Monash University Open Day – 5 and 6 August 2017
- Professional development workshops and training sessions provided by Monash University
- Events organised by the Student Ambassadors such as PD workshops, welcome morning tea etc.
Student Ambassador will not be expected or encouraged to miss any classes. Other commitments however, should be organised around Ambassador commitments. Compulsory Student Ambassador training will be conducted outside of class time.
Unreasonable expectations will not be placed on Ambassadors in the lead up to and during the assignment/exam period, but Ambassadors will be expected to attend some events and workshops during University holidays and weekends.
Key selection criteria
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills suitable for working with the Ambassador team and the student body
- Demonstrated involvement with and contribution to the Monash community, school or local community
- Must have passed all units in the preceding semester
- Ability to positively promote and represent the Faculty Education
- Have the desire to participate, make new friends and have fun.
Selection process timeline
- 20 March 2017: Applications open
- 13 April 2017: Applications close
- Early May 2017: Group interviews conducted during this time
- Late May 2017: Applicants notified of outcome
If you are able to fully participate in the Student Ambassador Program and are interested in applying, please follow these steps when applications open:
- Read the Student Ambassador Position Description above
- Complete the Student Ambassador Application Form.
- Attend the group interview if requested. (Note: Interview times will be sent to your student email address.)
Still have questions?
For more information on the Student Ambassador Program please email the Student Experience Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).