Professional experience in China
Beijing, the vibrant and busy capital of China, is reputed as the oldest continuous civilization in the world. This great city showcases its extraordinary past as an ancient city with imperial palaces and temples combined with modern contemporary buildings, stunning architecture, and countless culinary and shopping delights.
- Where: Haileybury International School, Wuqing outside Beijing in the Tianjin province
- When: 15 November - 7 December 2019
- Who: Pre-service teachers in primary and secondary courses
- Cost: Approx $3800 - $4500, plus spending money ($500-$1000)
This professional experience builds on our long-standing relationship with Haileybury College. Although instead of being located in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne, you will be witnessing first-hand the international nature of this school by journeying to the outskirts of Beijing.
Haileybury's newest campus, Wuqing in China, opened only a couple of years ago and caters for Chinese students. It offers the standard Chinese curriculum up to Year 9 with a strong emphasis on English, but uniquely the students experience the VCE curriculum from Year 10. Most classes have a Chinese and English teacher working collaboratively to support learning and teaching in English.
Another surprising component of this experience is that you will be fully immersed in the school community during the week by living on campus in the boarding school. The weekends will be yours to leave the confines of the school and explore the delights of Beijing and the surrounding districts.
Please note: the finer details will be finalised before the trip, and might be subject to change.
What's included in the cost
The cost includes:
- Round trip airfare to Beijing
- Chinese Visa
- Boarding school dormitory during school week (on campus), but accommodation of your choice on weekends (in Beijing, at your own cost)
- Haileybury provides:
- Transfer from airport to Haileybury
- Food at the boarding school
- Accommodation at the boarding school
- Transfers to and from Beijing on the weekend
Items not included that students need to budget for:
- Meals (outside boarding school/school days)
- Accommodation outside of boarding school dorms (weekends)
- SIM card
- Toiletries and personal items
- Tours and local travel
- Spending money
See what Financial support is available to you.
Opportunities to explore
After school hours and on weekends, you will have an opportunity to:
- Visit the great iconic and ancient symbol of the country, The Great Wall of China;
- Walk in the footsteps of emperors in The Forbidden City and explore the ancient alleyways of the Hutongs;
- Pause for a moment during the flag-raising ceremonies in Tiananmen Square;
- Experience the quiet reflective spaces of temples from the Buddhist, Taoist and Confucian traditions; and
- Test out your bargaining skills in one of the many marketplaces.
How to apply?
Recruitment for overseas placements runs from March to April and July to August each year depending on the location.
See Applications, selection process and cancellations for more information.
Who to contact?
Dr Sarah Rutherford
Ms Rochelle Mayer, IPE Coordinator