Adding or removing units, intermission and discontinuation

Changing (adding and discontinuing) units

You can add or discontinue units via the Web Enrolment System (WES).

In exceptional circumstances, and only with the approval of the faculty, you may be permitted to make a late addition of a unit.

If you discontinue from a unit there may be academic and/or financial penalties depending on the date by which you submit your request. Students should check census dates before they choose to discontinue from units

Taking a break from study (intermission)

If you wish to take a break from your studies, intermission may be taken for up to one year (two semesters) and applications should be submitted to Student Services reception in the ground floor of the Sissons building.

Intermission is not the same as deferral. Deferral is for new students who have not commenced their course. There is a separate application for deferral.

Course discontinuation

If you are considering discontinuing your course it is advisable that you first discuss your decision with a staff member from the faculty or from various support services offered by the university. You may wish to consider intermission as an alternative.

Applications for course discontinuation should be submitted to Student Services reception in the Sissons Building.