Complementary study

If you are currently enrolled in a graduate coursework program and wish to enrol in units offered at other tertiary institutions as part of your current Monash course, you can apply for complementary study.

  • You can complete a maximum of 12 credit points via complementary study, provided you have room in your course structure.
  • Complementary study is normally only approved where the unit(s) selected is/are not offered by Monash University within a reasonable timeframe.
  • When assessing an application for complementary study, the faculty will consider equivalence of content and learning outcomes, and whether there is significant educational advantage for the proposed program of study.
  • Approval must be received from the faculty before you enrol in any units at the host institution.
  • Students may be able to enrol in the unit Leading and Managing the Future in Pharmacy Practice (PHRM7051), offered by the University of Queensland.

How to apply

  • Complete a complementary study application (pdf 37kb)
  • Attach syllabus information for the unit(s) that you wish to study at another institution. This information must include; year level of the proposed unit(s), discipline, contact hours and intended semester of study.
  • Lodge the application:

Postgraduate Coursework Office
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
Monash University
381 Royal Parade
Parkville Victoria 3052 Australia

Closing dates

Semester 1 applications - end of November each year.
Semester 2 applications - end of May each year.


  • Once your application is processed, you will be notified in writing. You are advised to not enrol at another institution until you have received written notification from the faculty stating the outcome of your application.
  • If your application is approved, apply to the host institution to enrol as a cross-institutional student in the unit(s) approved by Monash.
  • When both institutions have approved the application, enrol at both institutions:
    • Host institution: submit all forms and enrolment steps as required by the host institution. This includes submitting requests
      for Commonwealth assistance through HECS-HELP and/or FEE-HELP to the host institution.
    • Monash:
      • Submit an Enrolment Amendment form no later than the Friday before the commencement of the semester in which the unit is to be taught.
      • Provide confirmation of enrolment in the unit(s) at the host institution with your Enrolment Amendment form.

Note: approval from Monash does not necessarily mean that that the application will be approved by the host institution.


You will pay fees for the unit(s) to the host institution irrespective of whether the host university gives you a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) or full-fee place.

The host institution can offer you either a full-fee place or a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). This does not depend on the type of place that you currently have at Monash.

Domestic full-fee at Monash

If offered CSP at the host institution - Complete a Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form at the host institution.

If offered a domestic full-fee place at the host institution - Complete a Request for FEE-HELP Assistance at the host institution if you want FEE-HELP for the unit, even if you have completed the same form at Monash.

CSP students at Monash

If offered CSP at host institution - Complete a Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form at the host institution even though you have completed the same form at Monash.

If offered a domestic full-fee place at the host institution, consider whether you want to use FEE-HELP.


You must request an academic transcript of your results from the host institution and send an original or certified copy to the Postgraduate Coursework Office within six weeks of the release of results by the host institution. The final result will appear on your Monash transcript as either, SFR (Pass) or Fail.

When you send your results in make sure you include a cover letter that indicates your Monash Student ID number.