Intern Training Program and Intern Foundation Program
The Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences offers two complementary pre-registration programs for pharmacy interns. Both the Internship Training Program (ITP) and Intern Foundation Program (IFP) assist you in making the transition from a student to an independent, competent health professional and will consolidate and build upon the knowledge and skills you have gained as an undergraduate.
Intern Training Program (ITP)
Completion of an Intern Training Program is a prerequisite for registration as a pharmacist in Australia.
The Monash University Pharmacy Intern Training program is a one-year part-time program. The program is practice focused, utilises flexible delivery methods and is undertaken during the pharmacy internship year. It is designed to address all competencies required for initial general registration as a pharmacist.
The program is aligned with contemporary practice. It is taught by over 70 practising and experienced pharmacists, representing a variety of practice settings.
This is a 12 credit point program. It may be combined with the Intern Foundation Program or with units from the Master of Clinical Pharmacy program to earn a graduate certificate qualification.
Intern Foundation Program (IFP)
The IFP is an innovative program for intern pharmacists designed to recognise, support and enhance workplace learning. The IFP may only be undertaken concurrently with the ITP. Enrolling in both the ITP and IFP enables you to graduate at the end of your intern year with a Graduate Certificate of Pharmacy Practice.
You will have an individualised workplace learning plan to ensure you are building your skills by completing activities relevant to your workplace and career development. You will also benefit from structured assessment and enhanced feedback from your workplace Clinical Educator.
This is a 12 credit point program. It may be combined with the Intern Training Program or with units from the Master of Clinical Pharmacy program to earn a graduate certificate qualification.
Study with the best
- We have been ranked number one in the Asia Pacific and in the top ten in the world for pharmacy education.*
- We are the oldest pharmacy school in Australia and with this history comes a prestige and reputation for producing quality, practice ready pharmacists.
- We are part of the National Alliance for Pharmacy Education (NAPE), which provides leadership in pharmacy education and aims to advance the pharmacy profession.
- On completion of the Intern Training Program or the Intern Foundation Programs you will have earned 12 credit points towards the Graduate Certificate of Pharmacy Practice.
- You may choose to only complete your internship requirements (2 x 6 credit point units) or combine your internship studies with two additional electives to receive a postgraduate qualification.
- Choose from a range of university electives from pharmacy practice, clinical pharmacy, wound care or from other Monash University Faculties including the Faculty of Business and Economics.
The healthcare landscape is shifting dramatically due to the rapidly ageing populations and increased incidences of chronic disease. As healthcare changes to meet these challenges, pharmacists' expertise and responsibilities are evolving.
There are new opportunities emerging for practitioners to undertake extended and advanced roles and a master's degree is becoming the international benchmark for pharmacists moving into these roles.
Planning your future requires measured decision making even at the undergraduate and intern level and decisions around postgraduate study should consider the ability to articulate to higher level degrees.
A master's degree allows you to focus your learning on a range of special interest areas. Units completed in the Graduate Certificate of Pharmacy Practice may be credited towards the Master of Clinical Pharmacy
Graduate Certificate of Pharmacy Practice
Off-campus* | Part-time, 1-2 years | Start Date: January and June
Includes the Monash Intern Training Program and the Intern Foundation Program, which leads to registration as a pharmacist and helps with the transition from student to competent health professional.
* includes a series of compulsory seminars at our Parkville campusCourse Progression Map How to apply
*2016 QS World Rankings