BIO2011 - Ecology & Biodiversity
This unit is an introduction to ecology; the scientific study of the interactions between organisms and their environment. Ecology and biodiversity forms the foundation for understanding conservation and the management of genetics, species and ecosystem diversity. The approach taken is to address core ecological theory, but with an emphasis on contemporary management issues and applications. Topics include the scope and approaches of ecological enquiry; biotic and abiotic factors determining distributions; population growth and regulation; species interactions; patterns and maintenance of biodiversity; food web analysis; disturbance and succession; and production ecology and nutrient cycling. Particular emphasis is placed on integrating ecological processes across spatial and temporal scales. Laboratory work will be completed via field excursions together with in-laboratory sessions.
- Describe the modern scope of scientific inquiry in the field of ecology;
- Describe the differences in the structure and function of different types of ecosystems;
- Identify and describe the fundamental drivers of patterns in diversity;
- Explain the main limitations on patterns of energy flow through natural food webs and ecosystems;
- Quantitatively describe patterns in populations and communities;
- Apply basic ecological sampling techniques in ecosystems and be proficient in summarising and reporting that data in the format of a scientific paper.
|Name||Dr Rohan Clarke|
|Office hours||By appointment - please email|
|Prescribed||Ecology: Concepts and Applications, 9th ed (Sher & Molles 2022)|
This textbook can be purchased in hardcopy or in an eBook format. Details will be provided in lectures.
|Recommended||Essentials of Ecology, Townsend et al., Blackwell, 3rd edition/2008|
Ecology: the experimental Analysis of Distribution and Abundance, Krebs, C.J. 6th edition/2009
|Program for 2022|
|Handbook Entry||BIO2011- Synopsis, Assessment & Prerequisites|
|Schedule||BIO2011- Lecture & Laboratory Schedule for 2022|
|Science Faculty||Information for Current Students|
|University||Information for Students - Timetables, Exam, Semester Dates, more.....|