This information provides an overview of the units offered by the School of Chemistry, as well as links to helpful resources for current students.
Please direct any queries to the relevant Unit Coordinator.
Detailed Chemistry unit information can be found in the Monash University Handbook.
In Level-one chemistry we emphasise chemistry as a central science and is open to all students. Our focus is on fostering an understanding of atoms and molecules as the building blocks of matter and on the development of laboratory skills to explore this idea.
- Most students will undertake the main-stream chemistry units (CHM1011 & CHM1022).
- An advanced stream (CHM1051 & CHM1052) exists for students who have excelled at the secondary level.
Dr Sara Kyne
Dr Victoria Blair (Assistant Coordinator)
Level-two chemistry offers units to students pursuing professional training in chemistry and to those requiring a strong chemistry background for other science, engineering or biomedical science disciplines. CHM2911 Synthetic chemistry I and CHM2922 Spectroscopy and analytical chemistry are recommended units for students intending to major in chemistry at the honours level.
- CHM2911 Synthetic chemistry I
- CHM2922 Spectroscopy and analytical chemistry
- CHM2942 Biological chemistry
- CHM2951 Environmental chemistry - water
- CHM2962 Food chemistry
- CHM2990 Introductory chemical research project
Dr Alison Funston
Students intending to continue Chemistry at honours level are required to complete 24 points of level three chemistry, including one of CHM3941 or CHM3922, and one of CHM3911 or CHM3952.
- CHM3180 Materials chemistry
- CHM3911 Advanced physical chemistry
- CHM3922 Advanced organic chemistry
- CHM3930 Medicinal chemistry
- CHM3941 Advanced inorganic chemistry
- CHM3952 Advanced analytical chemistry
- CHM3960 Environmental chemistry
- CHM3972 Sustainable chemistry
- CHM3990 Chemistry project
Prof Philip Chan
- School Intranet
- Language & Learning Online
- Hargrave-Andrew Library - Library Guide for Chemistry
- School of Chemistry Undergraduate Student Handbook
- School Committees
Scholarships & prizes
Dr. TzeKih Tsai
Senior Education Programs Coordinator
Phone: +61 3 99051123