Gender Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
The School of Earth, Atmosphere & Environment (EAE) seeks to provide equal opportunities and equal expectations for individuals, regardless of their gender, race, culture ethnicity or sexual identity. Our ambition is to achieve 40% gender balance across the continuing academic staff in EAE by 2025 from our current level of 22% women/ 78% men profile. We will do that by aspiring to 30% women representation by 2022, 35% by 2024 and 40% women, 40% men and 20% of any gender by 2025.
Equity, diversity and inclusion are important principles for fostering an inclusive and productive workplace in which all individuals can achieve their best and feel valued. This Committee was formed to actively advance these values within both our School and the wider discipline in Australia.
Some examples of activities committee members have initiated or participated in include the:
- Women in EAE undergraduate mentoring scheme
- Faculty of Science’s Early Career Researcher mentoring scheme
- WOMEESA database of women who work in Earth, Environmental and Atmospheric Science in Australasia
- Faculty of Science’s Advancing Women’s Success Grant
- Monash’s commitment to the Panel Pledge
- Australian Academy of Sciences EMCR Forum’s increasing diversity in prizes and awards best practice guide
- A (breast)feeding room in the building open to all staff and students offering privacy.
The Committee continues to strive to improve equity, inclusion and diversity, including the implementation of initiatives associated with Athena-SWAN.